Denim Pockets DIY Organizer
By: Claire Armstrong from pillarboxblue.com
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
In the Designer's Words: "This is a fantastic way of upcycling some old jeans into useful and stylish storage. All you need is lots of old jeans and a sewing machine. The rustic look of the denim pocket organiser is complemented by using an old branch to hang it from."
Whether you are on the hunt for clever DIY home décor for your new college student or just need a way to put your kids’ toys up and out of the way, this free sewing pattern is the ideal solution. Created out of old jeans, this DIY organizer is as sturdy as it is room. The denim fabric gives it a chic look while remaining durable despite what you hang in it. Absolutely perfect for smaller toys, office supplies, and anything else that might be cluttering your space, the Denim Pockets DIY Organizer fits perfect on the back of your door.
Project TypeMake a Project
Time to CompleteIn an evening
Sewn byBoth Hand and Machine
- Old Jeans, 16 pockets in total can be a mixture of back and front pockets.
- The waist bands from at least 4 pairs of old jeans.
- Sewing machine. Needle suitable for denim. Thread.
- Scissors, pins.
- Old branch to hang it from.
Find even more ways to recycle old jeans with the free sewing patterns and DIY crafts in our collection of What To Do With Old Jeans: 34 Recycled Crafts With Denim
Make the Denim Pockets DIY Organizer
Cut out the pockets from your jeans, don’t forget to allow for a seam edge of approx. 1cm. For this organiser I used 16 pockets, front and back
Lay out your pockets in 4 rows of 4, rearrange until you are happy with the design. Jeans pockets come in various shapes and sizes, don’t worry about your arrangement being a neat rectangle, you will be able to straighten up the edges later when you add a waist band border. Personally I love the irregularities of the pockets.
Then using a sewing machine with a needle suitable for heavy denim work sew these pockets right sides together. You should now have 4 rows of sewn pockets.
Sew these rows together again allowing for a seam edge. Make sure all your pockets are going to be the right way up before you begin sewing as this is an easy mistake to make.
Pin and sew these waist bands round the four edges of your organiser in such away that it evens up the edges. If you are struggling to straighten up your edges due to pocket irregularities you can always make small denim patches to even up your organiser, (these just add character to the project).
Make 6 loops from the waistband and sew these to the top of your organiser.
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- Framed Earring Organizer
- Dollar Store Cookie Sheet Magnet Board
- DIY Nightstand from an Old Wine Crate
- Modern Home Organizer Pattern
- Amazing DIY Jewelry Organizer
- Pottery Barn Wall Organizer
- Mason Jar Spice Organizers
- Dollar Store Bathroom Organizer
- Shark Bait Jewelry Holder
- Storage Drawers Makeover Easy Craft Project
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Elegant Gold Painted White Pumpkins
- Sweet Dreams Printable Coloring Page
- Mini Pinecone Christmas Tree
- Pinecone Wreath Craft
- Christmas Coffee Filter Garland
- How to Make a Paper Poinsettia
- DIY Fall Treats
- Grunge Style Fabric Pumpkins
- Lego DIY Fidget Spinner
- Wrapping Paper DIY Christmas Wreath