We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Throw pillows are a sofa's best friend, so make sure they're the best of the best! This Pretty Patterned Pinwheel Pillow will make your sofa a tad bit more comfy and cozy. Mixing some patterned fabrics with some organic solids creates the perfect pop of color to your home. This DIY pillow would look great on a solid colored couch due to the busy and bold patterns printed on it. If you're looking for an easy way to add color to your space, this pillow will do just that! If you know how to cut a square, then you'll have no problem designing this DIY throw pillow.
Be sure to enter for a chance to win a Vibrant Haiku Fat Quarter Set during the 12 Days of Christmas in July! This giveaway runs until July 30th and you can receive an extra entry just by commenting below on this page.
Time to CompleteIn an evening
Project TypeMake a Project
- Coordinating fabric scaps (4-8 prints)
- ¼ yd solid fabric (Warm white used in example)
- ½ yd fabric for pillow back
- 22” Zipper
- 24”x24” batting
- 22” pillow form
- Coordinating thread
Follow these sewing steps to create your fancy new throw pillow!
Cut 4 squares of your featured fabrics to 6.5”x6.5”, plus one 2.5” square for the center. Then cut the solid strips (I’ve used Warm White) to the following sizes:
- 4 strips @ 2.5x8.5”
- 8 strips @ 2.5x10.5”
Arrange long strips of fabric in desired composition for the pieced edging (fig. 2). The strips can be varying width from 1”- 2”, and the final size after sewing should be at least 8” x 20”. If I have extra scraps I like to add additional height so that I have flexibility with the composition once stitched. Sew together the long way with a ¼” seam allowance.
Once your strips are sewn together, press seams open and cut crosswise into 2.5” strips. You will need 4 strips that measure 2.5x6.5 and 4 strips that measure 2.5x8.5”. With right sides facing and using a ¼” seam, stitch one 6.5” strip to the top of your first large fabric square.
Then, sew one 2.5x8.5” strip to the outside of the square to create an 8.5” square consisting of your large fabric square and two pieced strips. Repeat with the second top fabric square, stitching the short strip to the top and the long strip to the outside edge. Then, do the same with the bottom two squares except stitch the short pieced strip to the bottom side of your squares and then the long strip to the outside edge. Press all seams open.
Next, sew the 2.5x8.5” solid strips to the top edge of your squares. Then sew the 2.5x10.5” strips to the outside edges of all 4 squares, and the bottom edges of the bottom squares. Sew the top left square to the bottom left square, and the top right square to the bottom right square. Finally, piece the small center fabric square vertically between 2 2.5x10.5” strips, and with right sides facing, piece that strip to the left squares and then the right squares, matching edges and seams. Press finished top.
Next, cut a square of batting and a square of backing about 2” larger than the finished top (24” square). Position the top on top of the batting and backing (with batting sandwiched between fabric layers) and pin well.
Quilt all three layers together. I used a simple vertical straight stitch. Once quilted, trim top to original size (22” square).
Cut 2 22x11.5” rectangles for the back. Press ½ “ under on center seams and insert zipper. With right sides facing, sew the finished pillow top to the back with a ¼” seam allowance. Clip the corners and turn. Insert pillow form.
- There is a maximum of one extra entry per person. The extra entry will be based upon a comment left on this project. Duplicate comments will be deleted and are not tallied.
- The winner will be selected at random from the comments on this page and the entries on the contest page.
- The winner will be contacted on the morning of July 31, 2017.
- Email Address provided in their account (please do NOT leave your email address in the comments--you already provided it when you created your account)
- You have until Sunday, July 30, 2017 at 11:59pm EST to leave your comment on this post. Comments posted after that will not be counted.
- Contest open to anyone 18+ in US and/or Canada. Excludes Quebec and Puerto Rico.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Quicksilver Shawlette
- Make DIY blank books from leftover notebook paper
- Refashion shorts into a skirt
- Repurposed Shutters Sign for Halloween
- Halloween Pencil Box
- 50+ Free Easy Crochet Patterns and Help for Beginners
- Tea Time
- Diamonds and Ice Mandala Coloring Page
- Emperor's Festival Adult Coloring Page
- Pure Royalty Adult Coloring Page
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home