T-Shirt Stockings for the Holidays
Don't fret if someone tells you that it's time to let go of your favorite shirt because you can use it for a cool Christmas craft ideas. If you have shirts with interesting graphics, save them for these T-Shirt Stockings for the Holidays. This is the perfect way to recycle old shirts that are still in pretty good condition. Making holiday stockings out of shirts is a great recycled craft idea that really helps the environment. Create T-Shirt Stockins for the Holidays and enjoy your favorite shirts in a new way.
- Stocking to use as the pattern, paper to trace design onto
- Fabric for lining
- Fusible stabilizer
- Craft felt
- Sewing machine
- Crafty Chica® Chunky Glitters™
- Crafty Chica® Extreme Embellishment Glue™
- Tulip® Glitter Spray Paint
- Trace the outline of the stocking onto paper.
- Set the shirt out on a flat surface and set the pattern on top. Trace around it and cut out through both layers (NOTE: If you only want the front of the shirt, just use the top layer.)
- Do the same for the lining fabric.
- Iron the stabilizer to both sides of the t-shirt cut outs. Iron to lining.
- With both layers facing together, sew around the edges.
- Take an 8×10 sheet of craft felt in a contrasting color and cut it in half width wise. Glue one at the top of one side of the stocking, and another on the other side. Trim up
the sides so it is flush with the edges, hot glue the felt together up the sides.
- Turn the stocking right side out and fold the felt over to make a cuff.
- Hot glue trim as desired.
- Add sparkle with glitter, crystals, and glitter spray!
- Hot glue a ribbon so you can hang it.
- SHORT CUT NO-SEW METHODS: Use Aleene’s® Fabric Fusion® Permanent Fabric Adhesive and hold in place with clothespins.
Read NextWine Glass Slippers
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
May 22, 2018
What a truly neat idea. Who would have thought you can make a stocking out of old tee shirts. I read the directions and this is so easy that it would be a shame not to make a few. My grand daughter has an old tee shirt that says big sister on it. It would make a wonderful stocking.
Jul 13, 2017
What a cute idea for recycling the kids favorite t-shirts. They are unique and personal, and great for anyone who loves non-traditional decorations for the holidays. They could even be used at other times of the year. I have 4 grown boys. I bet they would really like these. Thank you for sharing this great project with us!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Join our community of 5 million crafters!
- Get free craft projects, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use