Christmas Railroad Ornaments
In this Christmas ornament craft project, find five different train "cars" made from plastic canvas. String together with fishing wire to hang or display on your Christmas tree. They can also be made into fridge magnets.
Find this craft and more plastic canvas projects in 25 Free Patterns for Plastic Canvas.
- Kreinik Medium (#16) Braid™ in 031 Crimson, 002HL Gold Hi Lustre, 008HL Green Hi Lustre
- Cotton embroidery floss in white, black and yellow (see color key)
- 14-count plastic canvas, 1/4 sheet each white and clear
- #24 Tapestry needle
- Cut 2 locomotives from plastic canvas according to graph, 1 from clear (we’ll call A) and 1 from white (we’ll call B).
- Cut 1 candy cane C from clear.
- Half Cross Stitch, or Reverse Half Cross Stitch pieces A& C using Kreinik Metallic Medium (#16) Braid or 6 strands DMC floss according to graphs and color key.
- Straight Stitch lines on cowcatcher, wheel outlines & spokes, and backstitch line on bell and large wheel centers in Medium Braid. Backstitch small wheel centers and line between small wheels in DMC black floss.
NOTE: The bottom 2 slanting spokes on each large wheel wrap around the unfinished edge of plastic canvas. Add after large wheel outlines are in place.
- Overcast edges on Candy Cane C using DMC White floss.
- Tack B to A at dots on graph using DMC White floss.
Read Next29 Free Patterns for Plastic Canvas
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Jul 21, 2022
I love this and can't wait to make it. Are there any photos of the other cars that show the placement of the add-on candy canes and ladders?
Jul 14, 2016
It looks so glitzy and will look so sparkly and pretty on a Christmas tree this winter. I don't have the metallic thread, I'll have to see if I can find it online. I think it would pretty with regular embroidery thread too. I also noted that it's 14 count plastic, the smaller hole size, not the kind they usually sell for larger projects. I'll seek it out.
Oct 21, 2014
On this pattern page, under "materials" click on the green word "charts".it will download a PDF of the whole train, (charts and instructions).You just need to tell it where to save your PDF. Hope this helps others, too.
nursemary43 389955 6
Oct 03, 2013
I am unable to get this pattern to print. Please help.
Apr 29, 2010
Excellent train - I'm going to try to cross stitch it on Aida material. But it looks so fun. Great job.
Jan 26, 2010
My husband is a real model train nut and I've been looking all over for train car patterns. I tried to make my own pattern and it turned out ok, but not quite what I wanted. Thanks!!!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Join our community of 5 million crafters!
- Get free craft projects, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use