Antique Angel Ornament or Wall Decor
This antique holiday angel is made with inexpensive foam painted with a faux rust finish. Hang from metallic ribbon for a beautiful tree ornament or use as wall decor.
- 1 sheet 18" x 12" x 1/2"STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam
- Faux finishes: iron; rust
- Wire-edged metallic bronze ribbon, 1/2" x 1/2 yd.
- Water-based acrylic primer
- Water-based acrylic sealer (optional)
- Fine-line black permanent marker
- Pencil with dull point
- Utility knife and several new blades or serrated knife
- Old candle
- Disposable palette
- Water basin
- Paper towels
- Stiff-bristled paintbrush
- Disposable sponge brush
- Low-temp glue gun and glue sticks
Use marker to trace pattern outlines onto foam sheet; details will be added later. Carefully cut along traced lines with sharp utility knife or serrated knife. Wax the knife blade first with an old candle for smooth, easy cutting. Note: When cutting around a tight curve, first make several cuts from traced line out to edge of foam sheet; continue cutting along curve, removing small foam sections one at a time. Sand rough edges with a scrap piece of foam.
Use pencil tip and medium pressure to indent line that separates wings. Use pencil eraser or fingers to gently indent foam in area inside crook of arm.
Use stiff brush to apply one coat primer to front and edges of angel. Let dry.
Use disposable brush to apply two to three generous coats of iron finish to all primed surfaces. Follow manufacturer's instructions for drying time.
When dry, use disposable brush to apply one to three coats of rust finish over iron finish. More coats result in more "rust"; apply as many as needed to achieve desired effect. Follow manufacturer's instructions for drying time.
If desired, use disposable brush to apply one coat sealer to angel. Let dry completely. Note: Sealer will change color of final finish; model pictured did not use sealer.
- Knot center of ribbon and glue knot to top center back of angel. Tie ribbon ends in a bow as shown.
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow. For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.