Fancy Rubber Gloves
Make dish-washing glamorous with this fun and easy sewing project, perfect for a homemade Mother's Day gift. Add an oilcloth ruffle and ribbon or ric-rac border to boring rubber gloves for fashionable housework. Project designed by Little Birdie Secrets. Find this craft project and 18 other Mother's Day crafts in the Mother's Day Crafts: Blogger Edition 2010 eBook.
- Household rubber gloves (Walmart has white ones, Target has blue--check dollar stores, too)
- Oil Cloth (¼ yd. cut is enough)
- Ribbon or trim
- Sewing machine
- Hot glue gun
- Put the gloves on and measure around the end (largest part of the glove that is on your arm). You want your finished, pleated oilcloth to be ½ an inch larger than this measurement. My gloves were 10 inches around so I wanted my pleated oilcloth to be 10 ½ inches long.
- Cut your oilcloth. I cut my oil cloth to be 4 inches wide and approximately 37 inches long. Pleat the oilcloth by making small folds (about 1/4" to 1/2" long) and sewing over the fold across entire piece.
- Take the short edges of the oil cloth, put them right sides together, and sew them using a ¼" seam. You should now have a ring of pleated oilcloth.
- Slide the glove onto your sewing machine. Place the oilcloth wrong-side out on the machine over the glove, leaving a 1/2" of glove at the top, and stitch together.
- This step is optional, but very cute. Use pinking shears to cut the unsewn, bottom edge of the oilcloth.
- Hot glue coordinating ribbon around the glove, leaving two long tails on the top of the glove (if you want a bow). Tie the tails in a bow. Tip: It's easier to tie the bow if you can have someone else wear the gloves while you do it.
- Go do those dishes like the hot mama that you are!