Add color and style to an empty corner of your house with this Typographical Globe from Jessica Hill. Decorative crafts like this would look great in an office or a living room. Made with various thrift store finds, this fun craft is great for travelers and adventure seekers! This is also a great way to help kids learn their geography.
- A globe
- A lamp base, including the metal rod
- Hex nuts
- Spray paint – I used Krylon’s champagne nouveau and oil rubbed bronze
- Letter stickers in various sizes, fonts, and colors
- Packing tape
- Wax paper
- Clear protectant spray
- Lamp parts
- Did you know that most lamp bases come apart into several pieces? They are all stacked onto a central rod which is bolted at each end. When you take the lamp apart, all those pieces that can be rearranged in whatever configuration you want!
- You can use this same process to make a pedestal that can be used for just about anything. Put a plant on top of it – instant plant stand. Glue a tray to the top of it and have yourself a new side table. Use your imagination!
- Spray paint the lamp parts whatever color you desire.
- Now that the pedestal was underway, it was time to get working on the art globe. I traced each of the continents onto wax paper.
- Then I covered the area of each continent with packing tape. This will all make sense eventually.
- I bought letter stickers at an office supply store to create the typographical element of the piece.
- I spelled out the name of the continent using the largest letters. For some continents, like Australia, the name was too big for the space, but I actually like how that added to the design.
- Then, I applied letter stickers in the other 2 fonts and sizes all over the area of the continent, making sure to overlap the border in places.
- Next, I flipped the wax paper over and cut the continent out along the borders. See how I cut through the letters that overlapped the border?
- With just a bit of picking, I was able to peel the wax paper off of the packing tape.
- Meanwhile, I spray painted the globe itself a shimmery gold color.
- When the wax paper was peeled off the tape, I was left with a continent-shaped sticker made up of letters! All I had to do was stick all the continents on, smooth them out, and seal the whole thing with a protective coat of clear paint.
Read NextBeautiful Flea Market Coffee Table