Unforgettable Snowman Pencil Puppet
Children love snow, which is why snowy-themed projects make great holiday crafts for kids. There is something radiantly fun about this Unforgettable Snowman Pencil Puppet. Maybe it's that this little toy will surely fill children with joy for years to come. This handmade Christmas gift can be used as a puppet or as a pencil topper. Children will love the creative freedom that this Unforgettable Snowman Pencil Puppet gives them. You may just be Santa's biggest competitor.
Primary TechniqueGeneral Crafts
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
Knitting Needle Size7 or 4.5 mm
- 2.5" Smoothfoam ball
- Two 5/8" black buttons
- Three 3/8" pink buttons
- 30 yds red worsted weight wool
- 10 yds green worsted weight wool
- Four #7 / 4.5mm double pointed knitting needles
- Stitch marker
- Clover pom-pom maker (small)
- Clover needle felting matt
- Clover needle felting needle
- Clover needle felting claw
- Orange roving
- Tapestry needle
- Fine grit sandpaper
- Knit the hat. Cast on 30 stitches. Divide them evenly across three needles. Join the circle and add a stitch marker. Knit in the round for 2 inches, beginning and ending each round at the stitch marker. Begin the decrease round - K1 and then K2tog. Repeat this sequence until you finish the round. Knit the next round. On the final round, K2tog all the way around ending with a K1. Cut the yarn leaving a 4" tail. Thread the tapestry needle with the tail. Run the tail through the final 7 stitches on your needles and remove the needles. Pull the tail until the top cinches and closes. Weave in the tail on the inside of the hat. Weave all other ends.
- Make a pom-pom. Make a pom-pom following the instructions for the pom-pom maker. Sew or knot the pom-pom onto the top of the hat.
- Make a felted carrot nose. Pull off a small bit of roving about the size of a quarter. Roll it in your hands until a loose egg shape is formed. Place it on the needle felting mat. Felt the tip with the felting needle occasionally rotating the roving. Hold it in place as you work with the claw to avoid stabbing your fingers. Work on felting the wider end of the carrot. Your finished felted carrot will be approximately 3/4" in length and about 3/8" in diameter at the widest part.
- Make the face: Sand away any ridges on the ball. Take the pencil tip and push the pencil half way into the ball. Remove the pencil and turn it around, pushing it into the ball from the eraser end. Use hot glue to attach the eyes, nose and mouth.
Read NextKnitted Mitten Ornaments Pattern