The Peppermint Coaster from Lily Sugar n' Cream is a festive and usable craft. For knitters, this is the perfect way to knit a holiday craft you actually use. Make this simple knitted project by following the free instructions. Free knitting patterns are great for the holiday season because you don't have to spend the extra money. Finding knitting patterns online is even better because you don't even have to leave the house. But easy knitting patterns are the best because you don't have to spend a ton of time working on them.
- Approx 4 ins [10 cm] in diameter.
- Lily® Sugar’n Cream (70.9 g/2.5 oz; 109 m/120 yds)
- Contrast A (00095 Red) 1 ball
- Contrast B (00001 White) 1 ball
- Approx 8 Coasters can be made with 1 ball each of A and B.
- 4-peg Knitting Spool or pair of size 4.5 mm (U.S. 6) double-pointed
- knitting needles or size needed to obtain gauge.
- 20 sts and 26 rows = 4 ins [10 cm] in stocking st.
- With A, work 5 rnds.
- With B, work 5 rnds.
- These 10 rnds form Stripe Pat.
Knitting Spool Version
Note: To change colors the first time, pull end of new color though center of Knitting Spool. Do not cut previous color. Work as usual, keeping color not in use in center of Knitting Spool. To change colors each subsequent time, drop old color and work with new color, continuing to keep color not in use in center of spool.
- Pull end of A through the center of Knitting Spool, leaving a 4 ins [10 cm] tail.
- Wrap working end of yarn around each peg in a counter-clockwise direction.
- Once all pegs have been wrapped, work in a clockwise direction, holding yarn around outer edge of next peg.
- With Knitting Spool hook, lift lower loop up over yarn and over peg.
- Cont in this manner until each peg has been worked once – one rnd is now complete.
- Keeping cont of Stripe Pat, work until Cord measures approx 35 ins [89 cm] long ending with 5 rnds of B.
- To cast off, *take last stitch worked and place it on peg to left of it.
- Lift the bottom stitch over this stitch.
- Rep from * until 1 st remains.
- Cut yarn leaving a length of yarn 25 ins [63.5] cm long.
- Pass the end through the last loop and pull firmly.
- With A and pair of double-pointed knitting needles, cast on 4 sts.
- 1st row: K4. Slide sts to other end of needle.
- Do not turn.
- Keeping cont of Stripe Pat, rep last row for i-cord until work measures approx 35 ins [89 cm], ending with 5 rnds of of B.
- Cast off leaving a length of yarn 25 ins [63.5] cm long.
- Finishing: Beg with cast off end, coil the cord into circular shape as shown in picture and sew tog with yarn end using whipstitch.
If you're looking for more wintery fun, this collection of Knitting Patterns for Christmas is a great way to utilize free knitting patterns and save on the holiday season.