We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
If you’ve never done chevrons before, I encourage you to give it a try. The process is simple, and the results are impressive. This scarf from Authentic Knitting Board would be great for a man or woman depending on the colors you choose.
- Knitting Loom: Small gauge double sided knitting board with at least 21 pegs set at standard (½”) spacer setting. The 18” Authentic Knitting Board was used in the sample.
- Yarn: 225 yards of CA and 105 yards of CB of worsted weight yarn (330 yards
- total). Red Heart Super Saver was used in the sample.
- Notions: Tapestry Needle, Knitting tool, Crochet hook, Stitch markers (2)
Gauge: 12 stitches by 12 rows over a 4” square in Stockinette stitch.
Abbreviations: Cast on—CO, Bind off—BO, Knit with stockinette stitch—K, Color A—CA, Color B—CB
Making the chevron pattern is very simple. It consists of shifting loops to different needles, wrapping the board, and then picking over. Follow the steps below carefully, and you will be on your way to making chevrons. Once you have gone through the steps once, and see what you are doing, you will find this very easy.
- The first peg on the left is #1. Move loop #2 to peg #1. Move loop #3 to Peg #2. Move loop #4 to peg #3. Move loop #5 to peg #4. Increase from peg #4 to peg #5 by lifting the previously knitted stitch on peg #4 and stretching it to peg #5. Peg #1 will have two loops.
- Move loop #10 to peg #11 (It is marked with the stitch marker). Move loop #9 to peg #10. Move loop #8 to peg #9. Move loop #7 to peg #8. Increase from peg #8 to peg #7 by lifting the previously knitted stitch on peg #8 and stretching it to peg #7. Peg #11 will have two loops.
- Move loop #12 to peg #11 (It is marked with the stitch marker). Move loop #13 to peg #12. Move loop #14 to peg #13. Move loop #15 to peg #14. Increase from peg #14 to peg #15 by lifting the previously knitted stitch on peg #14 and stretching it to peg #15. Peg #11 will now have three loops.
- Move loop #20 to peg #21. Move loop #19 to peg #20. Move loop #18 to peg #19. Move loop #17 to peg #18. Increase from peg #18 to peg #17 by lifting the previously knitted stitch on peg #18 and stretching it to peg #17. Peg #21 will have two loops.
- Turn the board around and repeat steps 1-4. Each side should look exactly alike.
- Wrap the board as usual. Lift all the bottom loops over the top loop so that only one loop remains on each peg. This picture shows a close-up view of what the chevron pattern will look like when knitted.
Remember, when changing colors, first attach the new color, then move the loops according to the pattern, and finally, wrap and pick over the loops. I have found that using solid colors looks nicer than using a variegated yarn. This really allows the design in the knitting to show through.
- Place a stitch marker on peg #11 (counting from peg #1 on the left).
- CO on 21 pegs with CA using the stockinette cast on.
- Row 1 K
- Row 2 K
- Row 3 Follow Chevron Pattern
- Row 4 K
- Row 5 Follow Chevron Pattern
- Row 6 K
- Row 7 Follow Chevron Pattern
- Row 8 K
- Row 9 Follow Chevron Pattern
- Row 10 K
- Row 11 Follow Chevron Pattern
- Row 12 K
- Row 13 Follow Chevron Pattern
- Row 14 K
- Row 15 Follow Chevron Pattern
- Row 16 K
- Row 17 Change to CB. Follow Chevron Pattern
- Row 18 K
- Row 19 Follow Chevron Pattern
- Row 20 K
- Row 21 Follow Chevron Pattern
- Row 22 K
- Repeat rows 3-22 (7) more times, always changing to CA after row 22 and before starting row 3.
- K rows 3-15 (1) time
- K rows 1-2 (1) time
- BO both ends. Weave in any loose ends. Add fringe if desired.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Free Printable To Do List
- Simple Stars
- Door Organizer
- Easy DIY Decorated Clothespins
- Ruffled Tank Top from a T-Shirt
- Free Printable Motivational Planner Stickers
- Gorgeous Simple 10 Minute Moroccan Tile Planters
- Granny's Patriotic Wreath
- Custom Cupcake Picks
- Hipster Avocado Toast Cake
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home