By: Jodi Snyder for Red Heart Yarn
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
This beautiful Princess Shawl from Red Heart Yarn was inspired by Princess Kate, who was seen wearing one very similar. A knitted shawl is a great fashion staple, as it's great to wear year round and can easily be dressed up or dressed down.
- RED HEART® “Soft Yarn®”: 4 balls 9523 Dark Leaf
- Knitting Needles: 5mm [US 8] circular needle, 32” long
- Stitch markers
- Removable split ring stitch markers (optional)
- Yarn needle
GAUGE: 19 sts = 4”; 19 rows = 4”. CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size needle to obtain the gauge.
NOTE: Ruffle is worked in two pieces to keep the number of stitches on needle from becoming difficult to manage.
Shawl measures 62” wide (measured across top edge) and 31” long (measured from center back neck to point). Ruffle adds 5” to length and width.
PATTERN STITCH (multiple of 4 sts):
- Row 1 (Right Side): *K1, slip 1, k1, yo, pass slipped st over both knit st and yo, k1; repeat from * across.
- Row 2: Purl. Repeat Rows 1 and 2 for pattern stitch.
- Beginning at bottom point, cast on 5 sts. Purl 1 wrong side row.
- Row 1 (Right Side): K2, yo, k1, yo, k2—7 sts.
- Row 2: Purl.
- Row 3: K2, yo, knit to last 2 sts, yo, k2—9 sts.
- Row 4: Purl.
- Row 5: K2, yo, k2, yo, place marker, k1, place marker, yo, k2, yo, k2—13 sts.
- Row 6: Purl, slipping markers as you come to them.
- NOTE: The next four rows establish the pattern. Each Right Side row will begin K2, yo and end yo, k2. It may be helpful to mark the beginning and end of the first and last complete pattern repeats on each side of the marked center stitch using removable stitch markers.
- Row 7: K2, yo, work Row 1 of Pattern Stitch to first marker, yo, slip marker, k1, slip marker, yo, work Row 1 of Pattern Stitch to last 2 sts, yo, k2—17 sts.
- Row 8: Purl, slipping markers as you come to them.
- Row 9: K2, yo, work Row 1 of Pattern Stitch to 2 sts before first marker, k2, yo, slip marker, k1, slip marker, yo, k2, work Row 1 of Pattern Stitch to last 2 sts, yo, k2—21 sts.
- Row 10: Purl, slipping markers as you come to them.
- Repeat Rows 7–10, until there are 285 sts on needle. End with a Wrong Side row. Bind off loosely, leaving last st on needle.
- With Right Side facing and beginning at top left corner of shawl with remaining st on needle, pick up and knit 144 stitches across left edge to bottom point (145 sts on needle), place maker, pick up and knit 1 stitch in point, place marker, pick up and knit 145 sts across right edge of shawl, ending at top right corner— 291 sts. Slip markers as you come to them.
- Row 1 (Wrong Side): P1, *yo, p1; repeat from * across—581 sts.
- Row 2: Knit to first marker, yo, slip marker, k1, slip marker, yo, knit to end – 583 sts.
- Row 3: Purl. Repeat Rows 2 and 3 three more times.
- Bind off loosely, leaving last st on needle.
- With Right Side facing and beginning at top right edge with remaining st on needle, pick up and knit 8 sts across right side edge of Bottom Ruffle (9 sts on needle), pick up and knit 285 sts across top edge of shawl to top left corner of shawl, pick up and knit 9 sts across left side edge of Bottom Ruffle – 303 sts.
- Row 1 (Wrong Side): P1, *yo, p1; repeat from * across – 605 sts.
- Beginning with a knit row (Right Side), work 8 more rows in Stockinette st (knit on Right Side, purl on Wrong Side).
- Bind off loosely.
- Weave in ends. Wet block if desired.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Blooming Inside and Out Mixed Media Canvas
- Tropical Winged Torso
- Paper Wrapped Canvas
- Upcycled Coffee Can Vase
- Decorative DIY Jewelry Organizer
- Home Decor Yarn Flowers
- Quick and Easy Mini Memory Flip Book
- Boho Chic Gift Packaging
- Color ME Mini Composition Journals
- Seaside Memories Coloring Page Frame