Chunky Knit Turtleneck
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
This chunky sweater from Bernat Yarns is perfect for a cold day. The elegant ribbing at the neck, waist and cuffs give it shape and detail. This is an easy chunky knit sweater pattern for all skill levels.
- Bernat Harmony (100 g / 3.5 oz) 47012 (Almond Beige)
- Sizes S–8 balls; M–9 balls; L–10 balls
- Knitting Needles: size 4.5 mm (U.S. 7) and 5 mm (U.S. 8) or size needed to obtain gauge.
- 2 stitch holders.
- Small 32-34 in [81.5-86.5 cm]
- Medium 36-38 in [91.5-96.5 cm]
- Large 40-42 in [101.5-106.5 cm]
- Small 37 in [ 94 cm ]
- Medium 41½ in [ 105 cm ]
- Large 46 in [ 116 cm ]
15 sts and 22 rows = 4 ins [10 cm] with larger needles in stocking st.
Instructions are written for smallest size. If changes are necessary for larger sizes the instructions will be written thus ( ).
**With smaller needles, cast on 70 (78-86) sts.
1st row: (RS). K2. *P2. K2. Rep from * to end of row.
2nd row: P2. *K2. P2. Rep from * to end of row.
Last 2 rows form (K2. P2) ribbing.
Cont in (K2. P2) ribbing until work from beg measures 4 ins [10 cm], ending with RS facing for next row.**
Change to larger needles and proceed in stocking st until work from beg measures 23 (25-27) ins [58.5 (63.5-68.5) cm], ending with RS facing for next row.
Shoulder shaping: Cast off 7 (8-9) sts beg next 6 rows. Leave rem 28 (30-32) sts on a st holder.
Work from ** to ** as given for Back.
Change to larger needles and proceed in stocking st until work from beg measures 19½ (21½-23½) ins [49.5 (54.5-59.5) cm], ending with RS facing for next row.
Neck Shaping: Next row: K29 (32-35) (neck edge). Turn. Leave rem sts on a spare needle. Dec 1 st at neck edge on next 4 rows, then on every following alt row 4 times. 21 (24-27) sts.
Cont even until work from beg measures same length as Back to beg of shoulder shaping, ending with RS facing for next row.
Shoulder shaping: Cast off 7 (8-9) sts beg next and following alt rows twice. With RS of work facing, slip next 12 (14-16) sts from spare needle onto a st holder. Join yarn to rem sts and knit to end of row. Dec 1 st at neck edge on next 4 rows, then on every following alt row 4 times. 21 (24-27) sts.
Cont even until work from beg measures same length as Back to beg of shoulder shaping, ending with WS facing for next row.
Shoulder shaping: Cast off 7 (8-9) sts beg next and following alt row twice.
With smaller needles, cast on 38 (38-42) sts. Work in (K2. P2) ribbing, as given for Back, until work from beg measures 5 ins [12.5 cm], ending with RS facing for next row.
Change to larger needles and proceed in stocking st, inc 1 st each end of needle on next and every following 4th row to 72 (76-86) sts.
Cont even until work from beg measures 21½ (22-22½) ins [54.5 (56-57) cm], ending with a purl row. Cast off.
TURTLENECK: Sew right shoulder seam. With RS of work facing and smaller needles, pick up and knit 19 sts down left front neck edge. K12 (14-16) from front st holder. Pick up and knit 19 sts up right front neck edge. K28 (30-32) from back st holder. 78 (82-86) sts.
Next row: (WS). P2. *K2. P2. Rep from * to end of row.
Next row: K2. *P2. K2. Rep from * to end of row.
Rep last 2 rows for 9½ ins [24 cm]. Cast off loosely in pat.
Sew left shoulder and turtleneck reversing seam for turn back. Place markers on Front and Back side edges 9½ (10-11½) ins [24 (25.5-29) cm] down from shoulder seams. Sew in sleeves between markers. Sew side and sleeve seams, reversing sleeve seam 3 ins [7.5 cm] from bottom for cuff.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Zina from EfZin Creations
- Neptune’s Reef Adult Coloring Page
- Spirograph Necklace Plastic Canvas Tutorial
- How to Use Tulip Permanent Fabric Dye
- 16 Free Knitting Patterns for Mittens
- 268 Thanksgiving Crafts for Kids and Adults
- Easy Button Earrings
- Penny Copper and Gold Necklace
- DIY Movie or Picnic Blanket
- DIY Insect Repeller/Cleaner