Thanks Wine Bag
This easy knitting project from Lily Sugar n' Cream is knit in two pieces and finished off with a blanket stitch in the alternate shade, giving the Thanks Wine Bag an appealing contrast. What better way to show someone you're grateful than by giving them a bottle of booze?
- Lily® Sugar’n Cream® (70.9 g/2.5 oz; 109 m/120 yds)
- Main Color (MC) 00084 (Sage Green) 2 balls
- Contrast A 01130 (Warm Brown) 1 ball
- Size 4.5 mm (U.S. 7) knitting needles or size needed to obtain gauge. Stitch holder.
- 20 sts and 26 rows = 4” [10 cm] in stocking st guage
Note: Bag is worked sideways. To change colors, twist the 2 colors around each other where they meet, on WS, to avoid a hole.
- Back and Front (make 2 pieces alike). With A, cast on 5 sts. With MC, cast on 63 sts. 68 sts.
- 1st row: (RS). With MC, K63. With A, K5.
- 2nd row: With A, K5. With MC, P55. K8.
- Rep last 2 rows 3 times more.
- Shape handle: Next row: (RS). With MC, K6. Turn. Leave rem sts on a st holder.
- Cont in garter st (knit every row) across 6 sts until opening measures 3” [7.5 cm], ending with a WS row.
- Leave sts on a spare needle.
- With RS facing, join yarn to rem sts.
- Next row: With MC, Sl1. K56. With A, K5.
- Next row: With A, K5. With MC, P55. K2.
- Rep last 2 rows until opening measures 3” [7.5 cm], ending with a WS row.
- Joining row: (RS). With MC, K6 from st holder. K57. With A, K5.
- 1st row: With A, K5. With MC, P55. K8.
- 2nd row: With MC, K63. With A, K5.
- Rep last 2 rows twice more, then rep 1st row once. Cast off.
- With A, cast on 7 sts.
- 1st row: (WS). K7.
- 2nd row: Inc 1 st in first st. Knit to last 2 sts. Inc 1 st in next st. K1.
- 3rd row: Knit.
- Rep last 2 rows 4 times more. 17 sts.
- Work 9 rows even in garter st.
- Next row: K1. ssk. Knit to last 3 sts. K2tog. K1.
- Next row: Knit.
- Rep last 2 rows 4 times more. 7 sts.
- Cast off knitwise.
- With A, embroider Chart (see page 2) onto MC section of Front with duplicate st 4 rows above cast on edge of Front and 3 sts in from color change to A at Base.
- With MC, sew sides of Front and Back tog leaving flat edge. With A, work blanket st embroidery along each side. Sew Base in position.
This collection of 11 Ways to Learn How to Wrap Wine Bottles includes Christmas wine bottle crafts as well as bottle cozies that would be perfect for a Thanksgiving hostess gift.
Read NextGrandmother's Knitted Purse Pattern