Leafy Cable Bag
This spacious knit sack from Patons is great for your everyday book bag or shopping tote. The leafy cable detail makes it an intermediate knitting pattern.
- Patons® SWS (80 g/2.8 oz)
- 8 balls: #70242 (Natural Moss)
- Knitting Needles: size 5.5 mm (U.S. 9) or size needed to obtain tension.
- Cable needle – CN.
Approx 15 x 14 ins [38 x 35.5 cm] after felting, excluding strap.
17 sts and 21 rows = 4 ins [10 cm] in stocking st.
C10B = Slip next 5 stitches onto a CN and leave at back of work. K5, then K5 from CN.
C10F = Slip next 5 stitches onto a CN and leave at front of work. K5, then K5 from CN.
Important to know before felting
* Record all the measurements and changes before and after felting. You will be able to adjust the method to produce proper results.
* Always test a sample. Different colored yarns may felt differently.
* Colorfastness can be affected by very hot water.
* Any knitting that has been properly felted becomes very dense and matted.
* Put knitted pieces in top-loading washing machine. Using low water level, run a Hot/Cold cycle for 5-15 min. Put in a pair of jeans or large towel (in non-interfering color) for extra agitation.
* Add 2 tablespoons of baking soda for a small load. After one cycle, check for size. Repeat as necessary.
* Run through the rinse and spin cycle.
* Lay felted piece on a dry towel, away from heat or sunlight.
* Shape piece to correct measurements.
* Allow to dry thoroughly. Do not use a clothes dryer.
* If an edge ripples, baste a thread through the edge and gather in. Remove the thread after the felting is dry.
Panel Pat A (worked over 16 sts).
1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th and 9th rows: (RS). P2. K10. P4.
2nd and alt rows: K4. P10. K2.
11th row: P2. C10B. P4.
12th row: As 2nd row.
These 12 rows form Panel Pat A.
Panel Pat B (worked over 16 sts).
1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th and 9th rows: (RS). P4. K10. P2.
2nd and alt rows: K2. P10. K4.
11th row: P4. C10F. P2.
12th row: As 2nd row.
These 12 rows form Panel Pat B.
FRONT and BACK (make alike).
Cast on 100 sts.
1st row: (RS). (Work 1st row of Panel Pat A. K18. Work 1st row of Panel Pat B) twice.
2nd row: (Work 2nd row of Panel Pat B. P18. Work 2nd row of Panel Pat A) twice.
Panel Pats A and B are now in position.
Cont in Pat until work from beg measures 20 ins [51 cm], ending with a WS row.
Strap: Cast off 32 sts beg next 2 rows. 36 sts.
Next row: (RS). K2. Pat to last 2 sts. K2.
Rep last row for 20 ins [51 cm].
Dec 1 st each end of needle on next and every following 4th row to 10 sts, ending with a WS row. Cast off.
With WS of Front and Back tog, sew sides and bottom, using flat seam.
Felt pieces following “How to Felt” instructions. Shape Bag to measurements and let dry. Knot ends of Strap tog.
Read NextSun-Dappled Handknit Handbag