Baby Jester Hat
Two sweet pom-poms top off this fun knit hat for baby. This free baby knitting pattern from Bernat Yarns can be adjusted from 6 months to 24 months. You only need one ball of yarn for this hat, making it a wonderful gift or quick project.
Find this beautiful pattern and more knit hats in 27 Free Hat Knitting Patterns.
- Yarn: 1 ball for each size Bernat® Baby Jacquards (100 g / 3.5 oz) #06131 (I’m a Big Boy)
- Knitting Needles: Sizes 3.75 (U.S. 5) and 4 mm (U.S. 6) or size needed to obtain gauge.
Gauge: 23 sts and 30 rows = 4 ins [10 cm] with larger needles in stocking st.
Size: To fit child sizes 6 (12-18-24) mos.
- With smaller needles, cast on 86 (90-98-102) sts.
- Knit 5 rows (garter st), noting 1st row is WS and inc 3 sts evenly across last row. 89 (93-101-105) sts.
- Change to larger needles and proceed in stocking st until work from beg measures 3 1/2 (4-4 1/4-4 1/2) ins [9 (10-11-11.5) cm], ending with a purl row.
- 1st row: (RS). K1. *M1. K21 (22-24-25). M1. K1 (place marker on last st). Rep from * to end of row.
- 2nd row: Purl.
- 3rd row: K1. *M1. Knit to marked st. M1. K1. Rep from * to end of row.
- Rep last 2 rows 6 times more. 153 (157-165-169) sts.
- Next row: Purl.
- Cast off. Sew back seam. Sew top as shown on diagram.
Pom-pom (make 4).
- Wind yarn around 3 fingers approx 60 times.
- Remove from fingers and tie tightly in center.
- Cut through each side of loops.
- Trim to a smooth round shape.
- Attach to each pointy end of Hat.
Read NextJingle Jester Baby Hat
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Aug 19, 2011
@memomog 2860262, You can find the directions for the pom-pom directly below the diagram. --Editor of FaveCrafts
Aug 18, 2011
Where does it show how to sew top as shown in diagram????
Jul 31, 2011
csfries...This may be too late to help you, but maybe it will help someone else as well. M1 = Make 1 = Increase 1 stitch That's how you get to the 153 stitches. :)
Apr 20, 2010
What does M1 mean? Is this where I inc. so I can get to the 153 sts.? Thanks,csf
Nov 08, 2009
I am knitting this little hat but when I have gottenvto the place where it says repeat last two rows 6 times says there are 153 st how do I get that with out an increase
Dec 13, 2021
The M1 is an increase, you make a new stitch by picking up the strand between the stitch you just knit and the next stitch and knit it through the back of the loop to make a new stitch.
Nov 02, 2009
Good catch. You should see the diagram shortly. Thanks!
Nov 01, 2009
Where does it show how to sew top as shown in diagram???
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Join our community of 5 million crafters!
- Get free craft projects, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use