Cuddly Bear Hat
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
This cuddly knit bear hat from Bernat Yarns is too cute for words! It fits baby's size 3-18 months and is a great project for all levels of knitters.
- Bernat® Cottontots (Solids: 100 g/3.5 oz)
- MC: #90012 (Country Taupe) 1 (2) ball(s)
- A: #90007 (Sweet Cream) 1 (2) ball(s)
- or Bernat® Cottontots (Ombres: 85 g/3 oz)
- MC: 2 balls, A: 2 balls
- Double-pointed knitting needles: set of four size 4.5 mm (U.S. 7) or size needed to obtain gauge.
- 3 buttons (2 for eyes and 1 for nose).
To fit baby sizes 3/6 (12/18) mos
20 sts and 26 rows = 4 ins [10 cm] in stocking st.
The instructions are written for smaller size. If changes are necessary for larger size the instructions will be written thus ( ).
Hat Lining: Beg at top of crown, with A, cast on 8 sts, leaving a 6 ins [15 cm] end. Divide sts evenly on 3 needles (2, 3, 3 sts). Join in rnd placing a marker on first st.
1st rnd: Knit, inc 1 st in each st around. 16 sts.
2nd and alt rnds: Knit.
3rd rnd: *K1. Inc 1 st in next st. Rep from * around. 24 sts.
5th rnd: *K2. Inc 1 st in next st. Rep from * around. 32 sts.
7th rnd: *K3. Inc 1 st in next st. Rep from * around. 40 sts.
Cont in this manner, inc 8 sts evenly around following alt rnds until there are 72 (80) sts. Place marker on last rnd. Knit even in rnds until work from beg measures 9 (10) ins [23 (25.5) cm].
Outer Hat: Change to MC and knit in rnds until work from color change (fold line) measures same length as Lining to marker.
Shape top: 1st rnd: *K7 (8). K2tog. Rep from * around. 64 (72) sts.
2nd and alt rnds: Knit.
3rd rnd: *K6 (7). K2tog. Rep from * around. 56 (64) sts.
5th rnd: *K5 (6). K2tog. Rep from * around. 48 (56) sts.
Cont in this manner, dec 8 sts evenly around following alt rnds until there are 16 sts. Break yarn leaving a long end.
Draw end tightly through rem sts and fasten securely.
Weave end at crown of lining tightly through cast on sts and fasten securely. Fold Lining into Outer Hat along fold line. Fold up cuff as shown.
EARS (make 2 each with MC and A).
Cast on 13 sts. Work 6 rows stocking st.
Shape top: Dec 1 st each end of next 4 rows. Cast off rem 5 sts.
With WS facing each other, sew Ear made with MC to Ear made with A. Sew Ears in position as shown in picture. Sew on buttons.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Best Yarn for Blankets
- Japanese Creations
- Japanese Creations Chigiri-e Washi Paper Art Kits
- Turn Broken Flip Flops into DIY Stamps
- Gorgeous DIY Button Bracelets
- Dancing Sheep Basket
- Bib and Burp Cloth
- Crochet Coasters for Beginners
- Wood Burning Guide for Beginners
- Retro Round Ripple Pillow