Whimsical Knit Cupcake Hat
By: Nazanin Fard for Red Heart
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Looking for free knit baby hat patterns? The whimsical knit cupcake hat from Red Heart Yarn will have your little one looking adorable all day! This free knitting pattern allows you to learn how to work up a baby hat pattern that is almost as cute as the little one you are creating it for. The Whimsical Knit Cupcake Hat pattern combines pastel pinks and lovely whites to make a knit baby hat pattern that resembles a cupcake. The little pom on top is the cutest icing you will ever see.
Find even more free knitting patterns for baby in our collection of cute and cuddly patterns, 39 Free Baby Knitting Patterns.
How to Knit the Whimsical Cupcake Hat
Directions are for size Baby; changes for size Toddler are in parentheses.
Hat Circumference: 14 (16)".
- TLC® "Baby" 6 oz (170 g), 490 yd (448 m): 1 skein each 5737 Powder Pink A, and 5011 White B
- RED HEART® "Buttercup™" 1.76 oz (50 g), 72 yd (66 m) balls: 1 ball 4272 White Coral C
- Circular knitting needles, 6mm [US 10] 20" long
- Double pointed needles, 1 set 6mm [US 10]
- Stitch markers (5)
- Yarn needle
Gauge: 16 sts = 4"; 24 rounds = 4" in K2, p2 rib with 2 strands A held together. CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size needles to obtain the gauge.
Colors A and B are each worked holding two strands of the same color together as one. Color C is worked with one strand.
Hat is worked in the round. As stitches are decreased and no longer fit on circular needle, divide them among 3 double pointed needles to complete.
K2, p2 Rib (multiple of 4 sts)
Round 1: * K2, p2; repeat from * around.
Repeat Round 1 for K2, p2 rib.
With 2 strands A and circular needle, cast on 56 (64) sts.
Place marker for beginning of round and join, being careful not to twist sts.
Rounds 1–12: Work in K2, p2 rib. Cut A.
Round 13: With 2 strands B, k even around.
Round 14: * K1, yo; repeat from * around–112 (128) sts.
Rounds 15 and 17: K even around.
Round 16: P even around.
Round 18: K2tog around– 56 (64) sts. Cut B leaving a 20" tail.
Round 1: With 1 strand C, * k14 (16), place marker; repeat from * around.
Round 2: * K to 2 sts before marker, k2tog; repeat from * around–52 (60) sts. Repeat Round 2, 9 (11) times more–16 sts.
Next Round: K2tog around–8 sts.
Next Round: K2tog around–4 sts.
Next Round: K2tog around–2 sts. Bind off.
With tail left at the end of round 18, sew round 13 to round 18 to create a ruffle around the hat.
Weave in yarn ends.
With B, make one 1 pompom (or desired size).
Attach to top of hat.
You can find even more patterns for baby hats in our full collection of knit baby hat patterns.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home