Citrus Burst Pillow
Add a fresh pop of color to your living room with this Citrus Burst Pillow. If you've had your fill of sunrise colors, try using green or blue colorants to create a cooler ambiance.
- 14” to 18” square needle punch batting (Warm &White™ www.warmcompany.com )
- Lightweight fusible interfacing same size as above
- Backing fabric same size as batting, can be almost any light-medium print or solid fabric
- Bamboo stuffing http://www.bamboofabricstore.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=13
- Earth Safe Finishes - (www.earthsafefinishes.com )
- Red Orange, Sage, and Yellow Colorants
- Fabric Magic
- Sewing supplies including scissors, pins, needles and thread
- 1 qt size bowl
- Protected work surface
- Optional- 7/8”-1” button (Sample uses 7/8” button covered with T-shirt fabric scrap.)
- Fan fold batting one direction.
- Then fold in the opposite direction.
- In bowl mix one capful of Fabric Magic into a dropper of Yellow Colorant then add ¼cup of water. Dip folded batting into mixture along all folded edges. Unfold batting. Batting should look something like this.
- Refold batting starting 2” to one side of previous folds. Fold both directions.
- Without cleaning bowl add another cap of Fabric Magic, dropper of Red Orange Colorant and ¼ cup of water. Mix then dip batting in on all folds. Unfold batting. Batting should look something like this.
- If you want your backing to be orange dye it now. Dip backing fabric in water,wring out well then swish around in dye mix. Wring out and dry. You could also use backing in yellow and green. Here is my before and after backing fabric:
- Rinse your bowl well. Mix cap of Fabric Magic, dropper of Sage, 2 drops of Yellow and ¼cup of water together.
- Fold fabric again shifting folds to expose undyed areas. Dip into dye. Unfolded batting should look something like this.
- Dry batting flat. To speed up drying process you can iron damp batting by placing a sheet of parchment paper under iron. Allow to dry completely.
- Press interfacing onto backside of batting following manufacturer instructions. (There is no right or wrong side to the batting, this is personal choice.)
- Pin right sides of batting and backing together. Stitch around outer edges leaving at least a 4” opening for stuffing. Trim corners diagonally.
- Turn pillow right side out. Fill pillow with bamboo stuffing.
- Ladder or slip stitch opening closed.
- If desired sew button to center of pillow. Button on sample is a standard 7/8” button to cover which was covered with a T shirt scrap. Stitch button on to front then run needle all the way through to the back. Repeat 4 or 5 times for a tufted appearance.
Read NextFrayed Denim DIY Coasters