$5 No-Sew Candy Costume
Make your own costume this Halloween with these costume ideas to make at home! This no-sew candy costume from Heather Mann costs only $5 to make yourself, and it's such a cute idea for a little girl.
- 2 round placemats
- Package of iridescent tissue paper
- Stocking cap
- Spool of wide ribbon
- Sturdy tape (I used clear packing tape)
- Stapler & staples
- Twist ties, rubber bands, or string
- A piece of scrap paper and cardboard (I used the tag from the hat for the cardboard)
- Optional: needle & thread
- Wrap placemats carefully with iridescent tissue paper. Because there were only three sheets of tissue in the package, I clipped off the excess at the end of the rectangular piece of tissue before I wrapped the placemat because I wanted to conserve the tissue in case I needed extra for something.
- Cut one sheet of tissue in half and gather each half up for candy's side-wrappers. I used a twist tie to gather them, but you could use a rubber band, thread or string. Use whatever's on hand! Set aside.
- Measure and cut six 12" lengths of the wide ribbon for straps. Staple two of them securely to the placemats for shoulder straps.Try the costume on your child at this point and make sure it fits. Mark the insides of the placemats for placement of side ties.
- Staple the front side ties on in the spot you marked, sandwiching the candy's side wrappers between the ribbon and the placemat. Staple securely.
- Staple the back side ties on.
- For the hat: Cut a circular piece of cardboard (I used the tag from the hat) and if necessary, a piece of white scrap paper to cover the printing on the cardboard. Wrap disc as a piece of candy, securing sides with thread or wire (I used a piece of wire that came out of the wire-edged ribbon.
- Attach "candy" to hat by stapling or sewing.
- Dress child in neutral under-clothing (we used black because I thought the candy would "pop" against the dark color) and you're done!
Find this costume and more in 10 DIY Halloween Costumes for Your Little Monsters.
Read NextDollar Store Floral Wire Pumpkins
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Join our community of 5 million crafters!
- Get free craft projects, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use
Thank You for Signing Up!
There was an issue signing you up. Please check your email address, and try again.