Repurposed Reverse Fabric Earrings
Jewelry can be expensive so why not make your own recycled jewelry crafts? Save your plastic water bottles and create your own Repurposed Reverse Fabric Earrings from Heidi Borchers. This project is shockingly easy and so much fun.
- Water bottles (with smooth sides – I use SmartWater bottles for this project)
- Aleene’s Fabric Fusion Permanent Dry Cleanable Fabric Adhesive
- Craft knife
- Circle template
- Marking pen
- Sticker remover (I use Undo)
- Cereal box (or thin cardboard) for squeegee
- Brayer (or other cylinder tool for rolling)
- Small hole punch
- Eye pins (2)
- Jump rings (2)
- Miscellaneous beads
- Wire snips
- Round nose pliers
- Wire (approximately 6″ for each earring)
- Fish hook wire earrings
- Cut top from water bottle with craft knife. Remove labels from bottle. Use scissors to cut squares from bottle.
- Place circle template over square and mark cutting line with marking pen.
- Use scissors to cut along pattern line.
- Place cut piece on paper towel and apply label remover to remove any remaining stickiness and marker lines. This pieces should be very clear when you have finished cleaning it.
- Apply glue to back of circle.
- Use squeegee to smooth glue over entire surface.
- Cut fabric slightly larger than circle. Place face down into glue. Use a brayer of other round tool to roll fabric into glue. Be certain that fabric is securely glued all the way to the edges.
- Use scissors to cut fabric even with edge of water bottle circle.
- Punch hole at top to attach earring findings.
- String beads onto eye pin.
- Use round nose pliers to create loop at end of eye pin. Loop jump ring through punched hole and add beads to jump ring. Close jump ring.
- Leaving approximately 2 ” at each end, wrap wire around pencil.
- Slip coiled wire over beads. Wrap wire at top of beads (below loop) several times to secure. Cut excess wire.
- Use pliers to start to coil wire. Use fingers to continue to coil.
- Press coiled wire to hang over fabric circle. Add earring hoop to top of beads.
For a video tutorial on this project, check out How to Make Reverse Fabric Water Bottle Earrings.
Read Next53 Scrap Yarn Projects