Plastic Water Bottle and Drinking Straw Necklace
Make fun, eye-popping jewelry from recycled household items! No matter when you wear it, a colorful Plastic Water Bottle and Drinking Straw Necklace will surely make a statement. Have fun with this recycled plastic craft!
- Plastic water bottle
- Sharpie pen - black
- Craft knife
- Fabric - rip 2 or 3 1/2” wide strips and iron them flat
- Glue (I’ve used the Aleene’s Tacky Glue)
- Paper punch 1/8”
- Jump rings - one 3/8”dia. and two 1/8” dia.
- Needle nose pliers
- Embroidery floss - 3 pieces each about 30” long (to match fabric) and 1 piece about 24” to wrap around pendant
- Plastic drinking straws
- Beads - assorted colors to match fabric
- Jewelry findings - lobster claw closure - 2 findings to hold the floss
- Trace the square shape for the pendant onto the plastic water bottle using the Sharpie pen.
- Place glue onto the back of the square plastic for pendant. Place end of one of the fabric strips into the glue.
- Wrap the strip of fabric around the plastic piece and place small amounts of glue as you wrap.
- Glue the end of the fabric strip to the back of the pendant. Let glue dry.
- Punch a hole with a 1/8” paper punch at the top center of one side of the pendant.
- Attach a 3/8” jump ring through the punched hole.
- Center and tie the three strands of the embroidery floss onto the jump ring.
- To make beads from the plastic drinking straws, cut the straws into 1/2” pieces. Apply glue onto the straw, place fabric into the glue.
- Glue the end of fabric to finish straw bead.
- String glass beads and fabric wrapped straw beads onto the 6 strands of embroidery floss. See finished project photo for placement of all beads.
- When finished stringing to the length you want, clamp the embroidery floss together on each side. Attach a jump ring to each clamp. Finish necklace with a lobster claw clasp.
- To place beads onto the pendant, thread beads onto a piece of embroidery floss, and wrap around the pendant. Tie and glue ends at the back of the pendant.
For a complete video tutorial of this project, check out How to Make a Water Bottle & Drinking Straw Necklace.
Read NextGold DIY Mason Jar Flower Vase
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Join our community of 5 million crafters!
- Get free craft projects, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use
Thank You for Signing Up!
There was an issue signing you up. Please check your email address, and try again.