Fabric Scrap Heart Magnets
Fabric Scrap Heart Magnets let you show your love at any time in the year. This is a cute craft to do with kids because it is easy and does not create a big mess. Recycle any fabric scraps that clutter your craft area with this decoupage craft or buy fun fabric from a thrift store. Your refrigerator will look lovely with these adorable heart-shaped magnets on it and they will hold all your lists, photos, and hand-drawn pictures. This simple homemade craft is a great idea for a Mother's Day gift, too.
Primary TechniqueGeneral Crafts
- Scrap fabric
- Parchment paper
- Decoupage medium
- Wooden hearts
- Pen or pencil
- Self adhesive 1/2-inch button magnets
* If you don't have self adhesive magnet, use white craft glue to attach them. Don't use hot glue as it does not hold up as well as white glue does.
- To prep your fabric, place it onto a sheet of parchment paper and paint it with a layer of decoupage medium. This will keep your fabric from fraying when and after you cut it. When dry, about 30 minutes or so, peel the fabric off of the parchment paper. Trace around your wooden heart onto the fabric using a pen or pencil.
- To cut out the heart, cut inside the pen line by about 1/4-inch. This will trim it enough to fit on the heart and allow a little room for the wood to show around the border.
- Apply a layer of decoupage medium to the wooden heart and press the fabric heart onto it. Press out any air bubbles and let it sit for about 15-20 minutes. Apply a coat of decoupage medium over the entire heart, top and sides.
- Peel backing from magnet and press to the back of the wooden heart.
Make every day Earth Day with our free printable eBook, Recycled Craft Ideas: Easy Crafts to Make with Recycled Materials. Discover ways to reuse materials such as wood, fabric and even popsicle sticks. Get your copy now.
Read NextGarden Dish Flowers