Upcycled Can Gift Containers
Use those leftover tin cans from cooking in order to create adorable Upcycled Can Gift Containers. Instead of buying gift bags and wrapping supplies, you have just what you need for gift containers in your house. This DIY craft project is great for any occasion because you can customize the theme of the container based on decoration choices. Make your gift-giving "green" with these upcycled containers. Hopefully, the recipient will even reuse their gift container for someone else in order to perpetuate the eco-friendly cycle.
- Empty can, washed and dried
- Krylon® Interior/Exterior Paint - in color of choice for outside
- Krylon® Interior/Exterior Paint – Black (inside)
- Acrylic Paint – White
- Beacon Adhesives Tacky Glue
- Motif Fabric of choice
- 19 Guage Craft Wire – 12 inches
- pinking shears
- large nail
- round nose pliers
- craft stick
- Paint inside of can with black paint with several light coats until covered, letting it dry in between coats.
- Turn can upside down and paint in color of choice with several light coats until covered, letting it dry between coats.
- Use pinking shears to cut out motifs to fit the front of the can; glue to the front of the can.
- Place can upside down; dip toothbrush into small amount of white acrylic paint, hold 12” – 18” from can, pull craft stick across bristles to spatter the can.
- Using the hammer and nail punch two holes in the can on opposite sides for the handle.
- Thread wire ends through the holes of the can, adjusting handle length to desired size; wrap the excess wire around round nose pliers to curl ends.
- Tear a small piece of fabric and tie onto handle.