Stunning and Stylish Dangly Earrings
Learn how to make earrings and make a fabulous first impression with these Stunning and Stylish Dangly Earrings. You'll be the talk of the party once you put on a little art deco jewelry that you crafted yourself. This is a surprisingly easy project that uses materials that are just as easy to find. In fact, you'll probably be exerting more effort at the party itself than making these Stunning and Stylish Dangly Earrings. Roll up your sleeves and tuck back your hair, because you'll really want these earrings to take center stage.
- A sheet of Shrink Plastic - it doesn't really matter what kind.
- Scissors or an X-acto knife
- E6000 Glue
- Flat-nosed Jewelry Pliers
- Gold Spray Paint
- A pair of Earring Hooks or Posts
- (2) Jump Rings
- 1/8 Hole Punch or a Drill outfitted with a 1/16 Bit
- Binder Clips
- First, print your template out. You may want to print it on cardboard so it's easier to trace (alternatively, if you have the printable shrink plastic, you can just print directly onto it). Cut outside the line, then trace onto your shrink plastic. Cut that out. You should have - two pieces of the small pattern and two pieces of the medium pattern. For three-step earrings, you should have an additional two pieces of the large pattern.
- If you're apprehensive to use a drill, you should punch your holes now. Make sure the holes are completely aligned when you stack them all together. Bake your shrink plastic according to the package directions. Note: bake a test piece before baking your cuts, so you would know the best shrink temperature for your plastic. Too low heat and your shrink plastic will shrink unevenly and too high will make it shrink fast and it would not be flat.
- Stack your pieces together and glue them to each other. You may want to use a binder clip to clamp them together until they dry. If you haven't made a hole yet, drill the holes after the glue dries (give it about an hour or so). Of course, use caution when using a power tool.
- Paint your piece now. Wait for that to dry completely.
- Now, open up your jump ring and slide it into the hole. Before closing, thread the earring hook or post onto the jump ring, making sure the right side faces the right way when you wear it. Close the jump rings and you are done!
Love shrink plastic crafts? Find more gorgeous ideas for what to make with shrink plastic in DIY Shrinky Dinks: A Shrink Plastic Craft Guide.