27 Granny Square Projects
Ever wondered what to do with granny squares? Check out these granny square crafts!
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Granny squares aren't just for afghans anymore. We've got 27 Granny Square Projects to put your basic granny squares to good use. From cute bags to crochet clothes patterns, you'll find something to pique your interest here. If you love making crochet granny squares but don't have time to make an afghan, check out these great ideas!
In this collection, you'll learn what to do with granny squares. Sure, you could create a traditional afghan or crochet baby blanket, but did you know there are also granny square bag patterns waiting for you to cast on? Create a variety of granny squares to test your skills and expand your knowledge of the craft. You might even surprise yourself when you're done. Each granny square crochet pattern is unique and unexpected, so try your hand at something new. This is a great endeavour for anyone who is new to crochet or in need of a quick and easy pattern to switch things up a bit.
Table of Contents
Granny Square Projects
If you've ever found yourself asking what to do with granny squares, you're in luck. These granny square projects are exactly what you need to put those granny squares to good use. Many crocheters default to making afghans and throws with their finished squares. However, if you're anything like me, setting aside the time to pick up a granny square afghan pattern just isn't in the cards (they just take soooo long). These smaller granny square projects are just as important. From granny square bag patterns to cute crochet clothes patterns, you can find something for you below.
- Granny Square Purse
The quintessential granny square satchel, this is one pattern that won't take you all year to finish. So, gather up your granny squares and start piecing them together. In no time, you'll have a new unique addition to your wardrobe.
- Granny Square Cloth Crochet Pattern
You can never have enough crochet dishcloth patterns in your arsenal. They're the gift that keep on giving. Make a ton of these for yourself or save them to give as gifts for the holidays.
- Multi Color Granny Slippers
Do you or someone you know have cold feet year-round? Time to make some slippers. This cute crocheted slippers pattern comes with instructions for both child and adult sizes, so you can make a pair for the whole family.
- Granny Squares Crochet Jacket
Creative uses for granny squares are all around, but almost nothing beats this pattern. If the idea of completing a crochet jacket pattern the old fashioned way seems a bit daunting, try using granny squares instead!
- Floral Hexagon Bag
Cast on this granny square bag pattern for your granddaughter. She can use it as a school bag or just an everyday bag to carry all of her personal items. Use different color combinations for a timeless addition to her wardrobe. She won't leave home without it!
- Crochet Granny Square Scarf
Looking for an easy granny square project? Piece together several small granny squares to make this unique crochet scarf. The pretty pastel colors will remind you of warmer days as you're fighting off the winter chill.
- Granny Square Crochet Shorts
You won't find a more creative use for granny squares than these Granny Square Crochet Shorts. So unique, everyone will be wondering where you bought this cute pair.
- May Flowers Shawl
A prettier crochet shawl pattern simply does not exist. The textured puff stitch flower pattern in these mini granny squares give this shawl the look of your own personal crochet flower garden.
- Knit and Crochet Nature Hat
This hat pattern is the best of both worlds— the knitting and crochet worlds, that is.
- Flower Granny Poncho
If you've been searching for a unique addition to your wardrobe, look no further than this granny square poncho pattern. This is a great pattern for crocheters of all skill levels.
- Granny Square Cabin Rug
This granny square project is just what your home is missing. The Granny Square Cabin Rug fits perfectly in front of a standard sized exterior door and can be customized to whichever colors you like as well as whatever size you need.
- Crochet Granny Square Fingerless Gloves
You'll love wearing these crochet fingerless gloves in any kind of chilly weather! They'll keep your hands warm while keeping your fingers free to send off that super important text.
One you're bitten by the crochet bug it's hard to work on anything else. Discover a variety of crochet patterns for beginners in the free downloadable eBook, 25 Quick and Thrifty Free Crochet Patterns. This collection features everything from crochet baby patterns to free crochet flower patterns. Translate your love for crochet granny squares into a variety of unique and interesting projects with "25 Quick and Thrifty Free Crochet Patterns" eBook
Granny Square Afghan Patterns
For the more traditional granny square makers, we've got granny square afghan patterns for every skill level. Consider taking up an adorable crochet baby blanket pattern for the newest addition to the family or just stick to a classic afghan to gift to your loved ones for the holidays.
- Pink Daisy Crocheted Baby Blanket
You won't find a more adorable crochet blanket pattern anywhere. Make this for all of the new additions to your family. It'll carry them through the years.
- Nouveau Chic Granny Throw
This ain't your grandma's granny square afghan pattern. It's way better! Crochet up this cute throw from Red Heart and give your couch the upgrade it deserves.
- Early Bird Afghan
This granny square afghan pattern is easy to work up and assemble, making it the perfect weekend project.
- Beginner Granny Afghan
This simple granny square afghan pattern is perfect for beginner and advanced crocheters alike!
- Rag Quilt Style Baby Blanket
We stole this one straight from grandma's crochet book. Get the quilted look without having to learn how to quilt with this vintage baby blanket pattern.
- There You Go Throw
This two-tone, join as you go crochet afghan pattern is eye-catching and so much fun to crochet. Made up of six inch granny squares, this afghan won't take you all year to make.
- Millionaire's Afghan
This is the ultimate crochet afghan pattern. Not only does the Millionaire's Afghan use a wide variety of yarn colors, but it also utilizes quite a few crochet techniques. Show off your crochet skill with this lovely afghan. Don't forget to put the finished product on display!
What to Do With Granny Squares (from our fans)
We asked our Facebook fans for some of their favorite granny square uses, and they delivered! These granny square projects are perfect for crocheters of every skill level. Want your use added to the list? Comment below.
- Use leftover granny squares as coasters in the summer.
- Use granny squares to make smaller home décor pieces, like placemats and rugs.
- If you’re just practicing making granny squares, you can turn little squares into cute necklaces.
- Instead of making an afghan, you can arrange granny squares into a cape or sweater for your dog! This works best with bigger dogs!
- Make curtains out of granny squares.
- Join a granny square swap! Make granny squares with your friends and then mail each other a few at a time. That way you can create an afghan that’s truly unique and fun!
- Sew two granny squares to two fabric pieces and sew together, fabric sides together, to make fun bean bags for a bean bag toss game! Fill with beans, rice, or sand.
- Use extra granny squares to make a tissue box cover.
- Sew granny squares in a cube (you’ll need at least 5 or 6) to make a fun bird house.
Granny Square Patterns
I know you want to get started on these unique granny square projects right away, so here are some of my favorite granny square patterns from the site.
- Diagonal Box Stitch Crochet Granny Square
- Marigold Granny Square Tutorial
- Mayapple Crochet Flower Square
- Lily Pad Granny Square Crochet Pattern
- Whimsical Granny Square Flower Crochet Pattern
- Christmas Hat and Tree Granny Squares
- Meadow Afghan Square Crochet Pattern
- The Only Crocheted Granny Square You'll Ever Need
Readers love these free crochet patterns and we think you certainly will, too. Our collection of 50+ Free Easy Crochet Patterns and Help for Beginners is so popular and it's easy to see why - you'll find all kind of crochet patterns and ideas for projects. So, start searching for your next pattern now:
What's your favorite use for granny squares? Afghans? Bags? Coasters? Let us know!
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Hyperreality Sweater
- Elysium Scarf
- Sinum Bag
- Pastel Easter Wall Decor
- Rustic DIY Easter Decor
- Gorgeous Burlap Ribbon Cross
- Upcycled Junk Drawer Candlesticks
- DIY Mini Bird Bath
- Recycled Gift Wrap Wreath
- Dollar Store Magnetic Organizer
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home