Elegant Crochet Flower Shawl
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
If you've looked at a million shawl and wrap crochet patterns and can't find the right one, check out this Elegant Crochet Flower Shawl by Kristin Omdahl. It's one of our prettiest crochet shawl patterns.
This stunning and lovely free crochet shawl pattern adds just a hint of warmth without any weight to your wardrobe. Unlike many other bulkier crochet patterns, this DIY shawl is light and lacy. Created out of your favorite light-colored yarn, you can easily add something elegant to your wardrobe. Easily paired with with a sundress in the summer or with a long-sleeved tee in the winter, this is an all-weather crochet pattern that you will want to pull on time and time again.
Find even more elegantly easily crochet shawl patterns and more in our list of 19 Shawls and Wraps + An Easy Wrap Crochet Pattern.
Make the Elegant Crochet Flower Shawl
- US G6 (4mm) crochet hook,
- Yarn: Lace weight merino wool,1000 yards
- Tapestry needle for weaving in loose ends
Gauge: (2dc, ch2) x2, 3 rows of same pattern = 1.75” x 1.75”
Finished Size: 60” x 25”
Whole flower (make 8)
- With yarn doubled, Ch 6 and sl st into 1st ch to form a ring.
- Round 1: ch3 (cout as 1dc), work 15 dc into ring, sl st into 3rd st of ch3 at beg of round.
- Round 2: ch5 (cout as 1dc and ch2), dc into same st as last sl st, *ch1, skip 1 dc, into next dc work [dc, ch2, dc]; repeat from * 6 times more, ch1, sl st into 3rd of ch5 at beg of round.
- Round 3: sl st into 1st ch2 sp, ch3 (count as 1dc), into next sp work [1dc, ch2, 2dc]; * ch1, into next ch2 sp work [2dc, ch2, 2dc]; repeat from * 6 times more, ch1, sl st into 3rd sp of ch3 at beg of round.repeat from * 6 times more, ch1, sl st into 3rd ch of ch3 at beg of round.
- Round 4: sl st into next dc and 1st ch2 sp, ch3, work 6dc into same sp as last sl st, sc into next ch sp, [7dc into next ch2 sp, 1sc into next ch sp] 7 times, sl st into 3rd of ch3 at beg of round. Fasten off.
Half flower (make 18)
- With yarn doubled, Row 1: Ch3, dc 6 times in 3rd ch from hook (7 dc)
- Row 2: ch5 (counts as dc and ch2), dc in 1st st, *ch1, skip 1 st, (dc, ch2, dc) in next st,* repeat from * to * 2 more times. Turn
- Row 3: slip st in 1st dc and ch2 sp, *(2dc, ch2, 2dc) in ch2 space, ch1* repeat from * to * 3 more times, turn.
- Row 4: sc in 1st st, *7dc in next ch2 sp, sc in next ch1 sp* repeat from * to * 3 more times, turn.
- Row 5: sc in 1st st, *ch3, skip 1 st, sc in next st* repeat from * to * across. Fasten off, leaving long tail to sew half-flower onto shawl.
Triangle (make 2)
- Row 1: ch3, dc in 3rd ch from hook, ch2, 2dc in same sp, ch2, 2dc in same sp, ch2, 2dc in same sp. Turn. (3 ch2 sps)
- Row 2: sl st into space between 1st and 2nd dc, ch3, dc in same space, *ch2, 2dc in next ch2 sp*, ch2, (2dc, ch2, 2dc) in next ch2 sp, repeat from * to * once, ch2, 2dc between last 2 dc. Turn. (5 ch2 sps)
- Row 3: sl st into space between 1st and 2nd dc, ch3, dc in same space, *ch2, 2dc in next ch2 sp* repeat from * to * once more, ch2, (2dc, ch2, 2dc) in next ch2 sp, repeat from * to * 2 times, ch2, 2dc between last 2 dc. Turn. (7 ch2 sps)
- Row 3 – 28: repeat as established in row 3. (57 ch2 sps)
- Sew 8 flowers together in a straight line, using 2 adjacent petals of each flower and the 2 adjacent petals on the opposite side of each flower. (see photo).
- **With right side facing and starting at one end of long panel of flowers, slip stitch into center of last petal. Ch1, sc in same space. Ch5, sc into center of next petal (on same flower), ch5, *dtr into stitch that binds this flower to the next flower, ch5, sc into next petal (second flower now), ch5, sc into center of next petal (of same flower), ch5* repeat from * to * 6 more times, but omit the last ch5. Fasten off.**
- Repeat from ** to ** on other side of flower panel.
- Note: Make sure that the flower panel and half-flowers are all facing in the same direction (RS) when sewing into place. The triangular sections are reversible.
- Using the photograph as your guide, sew each long side of the flower panel to a shorter side of each of the triangle sections, making sure that you choose the shorter edge of each triangle so that the longer edge will remain at the top of the shawl. Each triangle consists of two short sides and 1 long side. The long side of each triangle is each half of the top of the shawl. Each triangle has a short side that will be sewn to the flower panel, and a short side that will become the bottom “V” of the shawl. This edge is where the half-flowers will be attached.
- Sew each of the half-flowers along the long sides of the triangular pieces, (see photo).
- After the first half-flower is sewn into place, the first stitch of each remaining half-flower should be snugly sewn right next to the previously sewn half-flower.
- With right side facing, sc evenly along top of shawl, then reverse sc back along same edge. Fasten off. Wash, block and dry.
We interviewed Kristin Omdahl on FaveCrafts Radio and asked her about this project. Listen to the April 6th show to hear her tips and tricks.
Frustrated with lace stitches? Try this easier version: Condo Knitting: Knitting with Two Different Size Needles
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home