Geometric Crochet Afghan
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
A new take on the traditional afghan, this geometric crochet afghan features 17 interlocking hexagons in beautiful jewel tones. Try this free, easy crochet pattern for a fun and stylish way to decorate your home. You could crochet this afghan in any color combination you'd like, and it makes a wonderful gift for a new home owner or newly married couple. The perfect challenge for a beginner and a great weekend project for advanced crocheters, this lovely crocheted afghan is sure to become your new favorite project.
- One size US I-9 (5.5mm) crochet hook, or size to obtain gauge
- One size US J-10 (6mm) crochet hook (for last round of edging only)
- Yarn needle
- 12 oz Caron International's Simply Soft Eco (80% Acrylic, 20% NatureSpun™ Polyester) yarn in Wine Country (A)
- 12 oz Caron International's Simply Soft Eco (80% Acrylic, 20% NatureSpun™ Polyester) yarn in Ocean (B)
- 22 oz Caron International's Simply Soft Eco (80% Acrylic, 20% NatureSpun™ Polyester) yarn in Plum Perfect (C)
Gauge: In double crochet using smaller hook, 12 sts and 6 1/2 rows = 4"/10 cm; One Hexagon measures about 17"/43cm at widest point.
Special Terms and Techniques:
- hdc2tog: Half double crochet 2 together—[Yarn over, insert hook in next st and draw up a loop] twice, yarn over and draw through all 5 loops on hook.
- Adjustable-ringmethod — Wrap yarn into a ring, ensuring that the tail falls behind the working yarn. Between finger and thumb, grip ring and tail firmly. Insert hook through center of ring, yarn over (with working yarn) and draw up a loop. Yarn over and draw through loop on hook (chain stitch made). Work stitches of first round in the ring. After the first round of stitches is worked, pull gently, but firmly, on tail to tighten ring.
Hexagons are worked in joined rounds. Join, but do not turn at the end of each round. Each round begins with an sc and a ch 2. This (sc, ch 2) counts as the first dc of the round. When joining, join into the top of the ch-2.
To change color when joining a round: insert hook in beginning ch-2 of round, yarn over with new color and draw through both loops on hook. Fasten off old color.
Hexagon (Make 17)
- With smaller hook and A, form an adjustable ring.
- Round 1: With A, sc in ring, ch 2, 11 dc in ring; join with sl st in top of beginning ch-2—12 dc. Pull gently, but firmly, on tail to tighten ring.
- Round 2: With A, ch 1, (sc, ch 2, dc) in same st as join, [dc in next dc, 3 dc in next dc (corner made)] 5 times, dc in next dc, dc in same st as first sc; join with sl st in top of beginning ch-2—24 dc.
- Round 3: With A, ch 1, (sc, ch 2, dc) in same st as join, [dc in next 3 dc, 3 dc in next dc] 5 times, dc in next 3 dc, dc in same st as first sc; join with sl st in top of beginning ch-2—36 sts.
- Round 4: With A, ch 1, (sc, ch 2, dc) in same st as join, [dc in next 5 dc, 3 dc in next dc] 5 times, dc in next 5 dc, dc in same st as first sc; join with sl st in top of beginning ch-2—48 sts.
- Round 5: With A, ch 1, (sc, ch 2, dc) in same st as join, [dc in next 7 dc, 3 dc in next dc] 5 times, dc in next 7 dc, dc in same st as first sc; join with sl st in top of beginning ch-2—60 sts.
- Round 6: With A, ch 1, (sc, ch 2, dc) in same st as join, [dc in each dc to next corner, 3 dc in corner dc] 5 times, dc in each remaining dc around, dc in same st as first sc; join with sl st in top of beginning ch-2 and change to B—72 sts.
- Rounds 7–9: With B, repeat Round 6 three times and change to C at end of Round 9—108 sts.
- Rounds 10–12: With C, repeat Round 6 three times—144 sts.
- Fasten off.
- Arrange motifs as shown in assembly diagram. Sew or crochet motifs together.
- With smaller hook, join C with sl st anywhere in edge of Throw.
- Round 1: Ch 2, work hdc in each st around, working 3 hdc in each outer corner, and working hdc2tog over each inner corner; join with sl st in first hdc.
- Round 2: Repeat Round 1.
- Round 3: Change to larger hook, working loosely and in back loops only, sl st in each st around; join with sl st in first st. Fasten off.
- Weave in ends.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Under 6 Hours Crochet Throw Pattern
Christmas Morning Crochet Afghan Pattern
Bavarian Rainbow Afghan
Modern Summer Camp Blanket
Arrow Stitch Crochet Afghan
Stars in Your Eyes Free Crochet Afghan Pattern
Quick Granny Stripes Lapghan Crochet Pattern
Red Crochet Afghan
Snowdrifts Crochet Afghan
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Fireside Slippers
- 24 Free Shawl Knitting Patterns
- Shiny + Soft Main Street Yarns
- Beginner Hat Knitting Pattern
- 15 Easy Crochet Baby Booties for Beginners
- 31 Summer Wreaths to Make
- How to Set Tie Dye in Fabric
- Crochet Christmas Stockings: 14 Free Patterns
- 12 Knitted Dishcloth Patterns
- Crochet Flower Pot
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home