Crochet Zig Zag Throw
Crochet yourself a zig zag post stitch afghan pattern. This throw is nice and light to use for a spring or summer day. It calls for a size K crochet hook and it's for the intermediate crocheter. You can crochet this Zig Zag Throw using any color combination and it also makes a wonderful housewarming gift for someone moving into their first home or apartment. This throw is also light enough to use as a shawl for a nice walk in the woods during a brisk fall afternoon.
- 4 skeins Red Heart Soft yarn in White (A)
- 5 skeins Red Heart Soft yarn in Grey Heather (B)
- 6.5mm [US K-10.5] crochet hook
- Yarn needle
Gauge: 10 sts = 3"; 8 rows = 3" in pattern. CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size hook to obtain the gauge.
- Trcl (treble cluster) = [yo] twice, working all on right side of fabric insert hook into same st 3 rows below as last tr and draw up a loop, [yo and draw through 2 loops] twice, skip next 3 sts 3 rows below, [yo] twice and draw up a loop in next ch-1 space, [yo and draw through 2 loops] twice, yo and draw through all 3 loops.
- To Change Color in Dc: Work last dc before color change until 2 loops remain on hook, drop color in use, with next color to be used yo and draw through 2 loops on hook; continue with new color.
- NOTE: Do not cut colors but drop to wrong side when not in use and pick up again as needed.
Afghan measures 44" x 58"
- With A, ch 144.
- Row 1 (Wrong Side): Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across; turn – 143 sc.
- Row 2 ( Right Side): Ch 1, sc in first 3 sc, * ch 1, skip next sc, sc in next 3 sc; repeat from * across; turn.
- Row 3: Ch 3, skip first sc, dc in each sc and ch (work into the ch, not the space) across, changing to B in last dc; turn.
- Row 4: Ch 1, sc in first dc, working all on right side of fabric, tr in first skipped st 3 rows below, skip next dc, sc in next dc, ch 1, skip next dc, sc in next dc, * trcl in last and next skipped sts 3 rows below, skip next dc, sc in next dc, ch 1, skip next dc, sc in next dc; repeat from * to last 2 dc; tr in same st as 2nd leg of last trcl, skip next dc, sc in top of ch-3; turn.
- Row 5: Ch 3, skip first sc, dc in each sc across changing to A in last sc; turn.
- Repeat Rows 4 and 5 for pattern, working 2 rows of each color, until 56" from beginning, end by working Row 4 with A.
- Next Row: Ch 1, sc in each st across; turn to work edging.
- With right side facing, ch 1, sc in first st, * ch 2, skip 1 st, sc in next st; repeat from * to next corner; ch 2, sc in next sc row end down side, ** ch 2, sc in next sc row end; repeat from ** to corner; ch 2 ***, sc in first st on lower edge; repeat from * around, end at ***; join with a slip st in first sc. Fasten off. Weave in ends.
Read NextIsobel's Afghan Pattern