How To Create Your Very Own Chia Pet!
Putting this adorable creature together is the ultimate fun kids craft! Your Chia Pet cutie by Kim Lambert for Consumer Crafts is fully customizable...let your imagination be your guide! Perfect for spring and summer craft time.
- Grass Seed
- Wiggle Eyes
- Pom Poms
- Chenille Stems
- Fern Pins
- Hot Glue Gun & Glue
- To begin, you will need to mix together soil and grass seed. I would recommend using 2 parts soil to 1 part grass seed. The more grass seed you use the “hairier” your Chia pet will be. Cut the pantyhose into about 6 inch sections and be sure to tie one end before adding the soil. To make it easier to add the soil, I used a cup to hold the panty hose. You can use as much soil as you want but I used about one cup.
- Once you have filled the hose, tie off the open end and shape the hose into a ball.
- Now for the fun part! You can decorate or embellish your Chia pet anyway you like! Add a face, ears, tail, and a nose. I glued my embellishments to fern pins and chenille stems and stuck them into the hose.
- You want to leave room for the grass to grow up and around what you added. The possibilities are endless!
- Once you’re done decorating, place your Chia pet in a bowl and add water. You should water it every day and keep it under a warm light for the best results. Now it’s time to sit back and watch your little potato-looking pet grow! You should start seeing grass in about 7-10 days.
- Once your hair (grass) grows, you can give it a trim or let it grow wild! My pet is having some trouble growing grass on his face, but I expect it to start growing in soon. Here is what your DIY Chia pet can look like – full grown:
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
More from "Crafting with Kids"
Crafting with Kids
Hundreds of free craft projects for kids to do and great craft projects for gifts for kids. Free craft projects that kids will love. Craft activities to keep kids busy. Fun crafts for kids to do. How to recycle items for kids crafts.