We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
I am a mother of 2 married daughter’s and blessed with 7 Grand Children and 4 Great Grand Children who all keep me busy with anything from any crafting category. I’ve always created as long as I remember. My parents bought me all kinds of art material when growing up. I was like a sponge when it came to art and crafts and hung out with teachers and other crafty friends to hone my skills and gather knowledge. Someone was always asking me to paint, decoupage, design or needlework something for them. Idea’s would pop into my head so often I started making little notes to myself to remind me about projects to complete. My favorite craft is crochet, then sewing, beading and knitting.
When I was 4 years old a favorite Aunt taught me to crochet and I really loved it. It was difficult at first because, she only crocheted beautiful lace like articles out of fine crochet threads like doilies, bedspreads, dainty gloves, etc. By the time I was 5, I was looking for new stitches, larger hooks and fresh patterns. Like all needlework crafters I was always circulating between 4 or 5 projects at a time.
Before retiring, I worked for the city recreation department in the administrative office for children’s programs. I used to teach classes in different crafts including crochet and knitting. Children learn quickly if you give them something age appropriate and interesting to work on. Our recreation centers used to host flea markets inside and around their buildings to make money for programs. We would make things to sell like African masks, knit and crocheted articles for anyone, and crafting supplies like homemade beads or homegrown gourds for crafters like us.
I really enjoyed working with the children’s programs and it taught me a lot, especially patience but, I thoroughly enjoy being retired. I retired in 2007 and haven’t had a boring moment yet. I think senior living is the best job I’ve ever had and I have so many more projects to create that I need the time.
Berta Gilholm, from St. Petersburg Florida, is a retired-and-enjoying-it senior citizen.
Berta's Free Craft Projects on FaveCrafts:
Baby Crochet Patterns
Free Jewelry Projects
- Boucle Bed Spread
- 4th of July Hat
- Antique Any Occasion Pressed Flower Card
- Beaded Bath Bucket
- Blue Beaded Poncho
- Broom Handle Draft Dodger
- Crochet Mood Doll
- Firecracker Duster
- Gift Tag Magnets
- Oatmeal Box Pencil Holder
- Snood Headband
- Sock Bed for Kitty
- Striped Fingerless Gloves
- Scrap Squares Rug
- Granny Gee's Crocheted Pillow Cover
- Plastic Holiday Magnets
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
Add a touch of whimsical charm to your spring and summer decor with this Classic Country Scrap Wreath. Made using fabric scraps of a… Continue reading: "Country DIY Fabric Wreath Tutorial"
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Emilia Shawl
- Endless Eyelets Cardigan Pattern
- Ornamental Shawlette
- Plush Hourglass Floor Pillow
- Woodland Animals Baby Blanket
- Diy Tea Towels
- Cute Crochet Frog Bookmark
- Octopus Colouring Pages
- Making Christine's Dressig Robe For <$10
- Simple Dress To Sew
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home