This project was submitted by one of our readers, just like you.
DIY Low-Profile Drawer For Easy Storage
Reuse cardboard boxes for storage that is both simple and cheap.
From the blogger: "Ok I know, this is super basic. But it’s honestly been super awesome for me so I wanted to share! My bed is super low so it makes it hard to store things under there. It was just wasted space for me which was frustrating especially because I live in a studio. But after one fateful Amazon delivery, the idea struck me: Use the cardboard as a low profile drawer slide! Honestly, you can just lay down a sheet of cardboard and call it a day. But this will walk you through how to add handles and some extra stuff to make it slide easier."
Estimated CostUnder $10
Time to CompleteUnder an hour
Main MaterialRecycled Materials
- Large cardboard sheet or box
- Furniture Sliders
- Zip ties
- Drawer handle, rope, or more zip ties!
ATTACH THE FURNITURE SLIDERS. I had self sticking furniture sliders so I put one on each corner. It’d probably work better with a few more in the middle but the four worked well enough.
MAKE THE HANDLES. There’s probably 100 ways to attach and make handles for this but I used zip ties because that’s what I had at home and I’m self-isolating so I didn’t want to run to the store. I’m going to try to explain this but it might be easier to just follow along with the photos.
- Poke or drill your holes
- Push a small zip tie up through the first hole
- Push another small zip tie down through the second hole
- Push the first zip tie into the second zip tie
- Underneath, add a zip tie to the second zip tie sticking through
- Clip the extra zip tie length off the bottom ones underneath
- Repeat steps 1-6 about 4 or 5 inches to the right
- String a handle through the zip ties. A rope or something would be nice. But again, I only had these small zip ties on hand and I am self-isolating.
- Repeat steps 1-8 if you want a second handle.
STORE YOUR STUFF & STASH IT AWAY! I’m storing all of my shoes on here because it’s super easy to get to them and see all of them at a glance.
Read NextRecycled Disc Resin Tray
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Join our community of 5 million crafters!
- Get free craft projects, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use