Simple Shoe Makeover
Fix a little hole in your shoe with this Simple Shoe Makeover idea from I Love to Create. While this project uses Toms shoes, you can use this easy and fun idea on any and all shoe crafts! So grab those well worn shoes and give them a new look!
- Old pair of shoes
- Scrap fabric
- Aleene's Fabric Fusion Peel and Stick Sheets
- Ribbon or lace
- Peel one side of stick sheets off and apply it to the shoe, lining it up with the long seam across the top of the shoe.
- Smooth it over the front middle and then along the sides. Naturally, you'll need to pleat it where the pleats are in the shoes. Then just trim the paper to match the shoe.
- The sheet won't cover the entire front, so you may have to add a few more pieces until the whole front area is covered.
- Once you've got the paper everywhere you can smooth it over the shoe to get the adhesive to adhere and the just peel off the paper. Now it looks like this.
- Then apply the fabric the exact same way. You could apply a little fray check around the bottom, but if you got the adhesive all the way to the bottom I don't think you'll have to worry much about fraying. It's stuck on quite well.
- Add a little extra adhesive inside the pleats to get them to stay flat.
- Smooth the fabric over to get it really stuck on there - especially at the bottom. I didn't like the raw edge of the fabric across the top of the shoe so I decided to add a little bit of lace. I used the dry adhesive again, cutting it into thin lines and then I laid the lace over it.
- And BAM. They're done. No waiting until they are dry because they already are!
Read NextDIY Studded Loafers
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Apr 29, 2018
This is amazing! I love it when I come across life hacks like these ones. I don't know if I can use this on another type of shoe but for my fabric shoes this will do. Now I have another use for my fabric scraps!
Feb 07, 2012
Totally clever! Also, cheaper than buying a new pair. Definitely easier than finding a new pair I like. I hate breaking in shoes and often this year's trend may not be available in my size.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Join our community of 5 million crafters!
- Get free craft projects, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use