Make a hip, urban, graffiti inspired t-shirt! This fabric craft from I Love to Create can be made for guys and girls. Keep it for yourself or give it to your friends as a gift.
- Aleene's® Fabric Fusion® Permanent Dry Cleanable Fabric Adhesive
- Tulip® Fashion Graffiti™ Big Phat Fabric Marker™
- Fire Hydrant
- Tulip® Fashion Form™
- Tulip® Fashion Graffiti™ Stencils
- Urban Graffiti
- Tulip® Fashion Graffiti™ Fabric Paint Cannon™
- Tulip® Fashion Graffiti™ Cannon Fabric Paint™
- Rush Hour
- Plastic tablecloth
- Paper towels
- Gray fabric or old gray T-shirt
- Thread to match
- White fabric – ¼ yard
- T-shirt – gray (V-neck for women’s shirt)
- Blow dryer (optional)
- Wash shirt to remove sizing. Do not use fabric softener. Dry in dryer then iron smooth.
- Cover work surface with plastic tablecloth and lay shirt on work surface. Insert Fashion Form into shirt to prevent paint seepage.
- Remove chain link fence stencil from stencil package. Place on bottom hem on left side of shirt. Cover edges of stencil with paper towels to prevent overspray.
- Pour Blackout Cannon Fabric Paint into Paint Cannon. Pump Paint Cannon following package instructions then spray over stencil. Carefully remove paper towels and place to side. Lift off stencil, flip painted side onto paper towels then wipe off excess paint. Reposition stencil along hem, lining up design elements then repeat step, using new paper towels for each stencil repositioning. Create thicker chain link design elements as you move stencil toward right side of shirt. Refer to photo. Let dry.
- Repeat steps for design at hem of left sleeve.
- To create spattered effect, hold down spray nozzle halfway and aim where desired. Test on paper towel before starting on shirt. Add spatter over chain link design where shown.
- Follow steps used for men’s shirt, stenciling design from left shoulder halfway down shirt and across neckline but stopping before right shoulder. Add spattered effect around neckline as shown. Let dry. Pour remaining color back into bottle and thoroughly clean Paint Cannon.
- Place newspaper on work surface then place white fabric piece down center of newspaper. Fill Paint Cannon with Cosmopolitan Cannon Fabric Paint then spray sections along white fabric. Repeat step with Rush Hour Cannon Fabric Paint, making sure to thoroughly clean Paint Cannon between colors. Let dry – a blow dryer will speed this step.
- Use Fire Hydrant Big Phat Fabric Marker to add detail to fabric, creating lines and squiggles as desired. Let dry.
- Use scissors to make snips 2” apart along selvage edge of fabric. Tear fabric along length, starting at snips. Measure and cut one strip to about 30” long. Fray one side of strip by removing several threads of fabric along length.
- Use needle and thread to sew a basting stitch along unfrayed side down length of strip, slightly gathering fabric along the way. Sew several stitches to secure end then remove needle.
- To create rose, swirl fabric, leaving about a 1” opening in center. Use needle and thread to sew in a few sectionals through gathered edges to secure. Add a thin bead of Fabric Fusion next to gathered line between layers. Let dry.
- To create center of rose, fold other strip in half, right side out, then tie a knot. Add several more knots, adjusting fabric as needed. Insert tails of knot through center of rose, trim ends to 1” then glue to back of rose.
- Position rose where desired on shirt then glue in place with Fabric Fusion.