Take Me Home Infant Shirt
This wonderful project comes to us compliments of Jill Green of Homemade by Jill. She features loads of creative sewing tutorials at her blog for kids and grown-ups. In this project, she spruces up the basic kimono-style infant shirt for a spring-inspired shirt. Using just ric rac and buttons, a basic infant snap shirt can be transformed into a boutique-quality “take-me-home” tee.
- 1 newborn sized kimono style snap shirt
- 1 yard ¼ inch wide ric rac
- 2 buttons
Half hour or less
- Unsnap the shirt and pin the ric rac in place, following the line of the existing seam. Leave approximately one inch overhang on each end.
- Fold the ends of the ric rac around the bottom shirt hem and line up with the inside seam. Topstitch over ric rac, backstitching at the beginning and end. The topstitch should catch the folded-over ric rac to hold it in place inside the shirt.
- Sew buttons on top of the front two snaps, sewing through the center of the snap. When the button is secure, tie the knot behind the button on the outside of the shirt (not inside in the center of the snap opening).