DIY Linen Tablecloth and Napkins
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
"I'm smitten with nice linens. We've been a paperless kitchen for years, opting for fabric napkins and towels instead of paper napkins or paper towels. When it came time for me to ponder this year's fall and Thanksgiving table, it occurred to me that I needed a neutral linen tablecloth, as well as napkins. Instead of buying one, I opted to make mine. I had planned to hem the whole thing, but liked the way the frayed edge looked, so opted for that route. This is an easy and inexpensive way to adorn your table in nice linen!"
Project Type: Make a Project
Time to complete: Weekend project
Sewn by: Both Hand and Machine
- Washable linen in desired length. I bought 2.25 yards for the tablecloth (my table measures 77" by 42")and another 1.5 yards for 8 18? square napkins.
- Sewing Machine
- Thread in complimentary color
- Seam Ripper
- T-Square or L-Square Ruler
- The hardest part of this whole project is getting your cuts straight. Line up the selvedge edge of your fabric with your T-Square or L-Square and cut so that the unfinished end is as straight as possible.
- I did not have one edge on any of the napkins or the tablecloth that was perfectly straight, so once I start pulling threads, I was really able to see how crooked I was. No problemyou can fix that later.
- Determine how wide you want your fringe. Now, if youre not careful, you could pull too many out. If your sides are fantastically straight, you could run a thread along the sides before you start fringing and that would prevent the fringe/fray from going any further. But if you dont know how straight your sides are until you start pulling threads, I wouldnt sew that finishing stitch until the end.
- Once you have your edges as straight as possible, you can start pulling your threadsthe fun part. Youll notice that your selvedge edges will have a thread, ususally a contrasting color, running the length of the fabric. Youre going to have to get that thread out. I just went in with a seam ripper and broke it at various points and was able to pick it up a pull it out in many different areas. Which reminds me that this part is tied with getting your cuts straight in terms of being the hardest part.
- Once youve pulled your threads so that the shortest portion of your fringe is as long as you want all your fringe, run a seam just inside of the fringe on the tablecloth fabric to prevent any more unwanted fringe-ing.
- Now you can cut your fringe so that its more even. I just eye-balled it, but you could use a gridded cutting mat or the L-Square if youd prefer.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Coupon, Gift Card and Loyalty Card Pouch
Bunny Door Hanger
One Square Tote Bag
Belle Sleeve Top Free Sewing Pattern and Tutorial
Fabric Cuff Bracelet
Bedsheet Basket Insert
Step-by-Step Guide to Sewing a T-shirt
Aunt Betty's Strip Pieced Potholder
Reusable Fabric Sewn Coffee Sleeve
Hanging DIY Dish Towel
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Spring Crafts for Kids: Cute Bunny
- Free Bag Patterns: 40+ Sewing Patterns for Purses, Tote Bags, and More
- Paracord Projects: 11 Pretty Ideas for What to Make out of Paracord
- 46 Free Crochet Patterns for Stuffed Animals
- Interlocking Triangles Earrings
- 8" Tapestry Shamrock Afghan Square
- Glitter Heat Transfer Vinyl
- Easy Easter Centerpiece
- Tie-dyed T-Shirt Quilt Picnic Blanket
- Easter Bunny Butt Pillow
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home