Sweet Dreams Hat
Keep your little one warm and cozy with this Sweet Dreams Hat from Jen Hagedorn. This easy baby hat pattern requires knit fabric, so the hat is stretchy, warm, and soft. Soon you'll be sewing these super cute baby hats for all your friends and family!
- 1/4 yard cotton knit with at least 25% stretch (we used the darling Alphabet Soup print and Lime Green organic cotton interlocks from Harmony Art Fabrics)
- Cotton knit for the band (contrasting or matching): 2.5" x 14" piece
- Polyester thread
- Ball point needle
- Print out the free baby hat pattern. Cut around the solid line. The 1/4" seam allowance is already included.
- Cut 2 of the hat pieces from your main fabric. Cut 2 strips of your band fabric, each 2.5" long x 7" wide (the stretchy direction).
- Place the hat pieces right sides together and sew around the edges as shown, using a 1/4" seam allowance. When sewing knit, a stretch stitch or narrow zigzag is recommended to ensure that your seam will stretch along with the stretchy fabric. Also place your band pieces right sides together, and sew the short edges.
- Make a little clip into your seam allowance where the long "tail" that you will be knotting meets the main part of the hat. Don't clip through your seam.
- Turn the main portion of the hat right side out. Fold the band in half lengthwise, wrong sides together. Finger press the seams open.
- Place the band around the main portion of the hat, raw edges aligned, and matching up the side seams. Pin all around, then sew this seam using a stretch stitch. If you have a free arm on your sewing machine and can slip the hat over it without stretching the hat, it makes this part a breeze.
- Flip the band down into place, give the tail a single overhand knot, and enjoy!