Plastic Canvas Flamingo Pin
This plastic canvas flamingo pin celebrates summer and vacation fun. Stitch this project while on vacation or use to adorn clothing or bags.
Find this craft and more Plastic Canvas projects at "16 Free Patterns for Plastic Canvas."
- Kreinik Heavy (#32) Braid in 9200 Blossom
- Kreinik Cord in 008C Green
- Kreinik 1/8” Ribbon in 054F Lemon Lime
- DMC Embroidery floss in 333 Blue Violet and 3806 Lt Cyclamen Pink
- QuickCount® 10-count plastic canvas by Uniek
- Fabri-Tac™ Permanent Adhesive by Beacon™
- Whimsy Glass Bead by Wichelt Imports: one Dark Crystal Green (#5133)
- plastic canvas needle (No. 18)
- backing material: fabric, perforated paper, card stock, etc
- Cut canvas according to graphs, and as follows:
BASE: 18 x 18 holes
BACKGROUND: 16 x 16 holes
FLAMINGO: 12 x 11 holes
- Using three strands of DMC 333, work the background piece completely in cross stitches. Overcast the edges with the same color using two stitches/hole.
- Work the flamingo in Kreinik #32 Braid 3200 in continental stitches. Overcast the edges of the body of the flamingo with six strands of DMC 3806. Overcast the beak of the flamingo with Kreinik 1/8” Ribbon in 054F Lemon Lime.
- Holding background piece like a diamond, tack the legs of the flamingo to the background with 1/8” Ribbon 054F. The head of the flamingo should be 1/2-inch from the top corner of the background. Using Kreinik Green Cord (008C), add a 3/4” Lazy Daisy Stitch to the bottom left of the flamingo, a 1/2” Lazy Daisy Stitch between the legs and two 3/4” Lazy Daisy Stitches to the bottom right of the flamingo. Add two 1/2” Turkey loops, one on each side of the 1/2” Lazy Daisy for “foliage.”
- Using three strands of DMC 333, whipstitch background to unstitched base, leaving one hole around all edges.
- Overcast edges of base with Kreinik #32 Braid 3200.
- Glue Dark Crystal Green Whimsy Glass Bead to head of flamingo at () for an eye. Glue backing material to back of pin, glue pinback to center of backing material.