Christmas Frame Ornament
Add your kid's (or grandkid's) school picture to a festive plastic canvas ornament frame for Christmas. This Christmas ornament frame is also a great project for girl scout troops or nursing homes.
Find this craft and more plastic canvas projects in 25 Free Patterns for Plastic Canvas.
- Kreinik Heavy (#32) Braid™ in 091 Star Yellow (8 yards)
- 7-mesh plastic canvas (such as QuickCount® by Uniek). You will need to cut pieces for the following: one front = 27 x 29 holes, one back = 13 x 17 holes
- Sequins and spangles: four 3/4" green leaves, six 1/2" red flowers, two 1/4" green rounds
- plastic canvas needle #18
- scissors, small pieces of nylon thread for the ornament hanger, and
- craft glue (such as Jewel Glue by Delta)
- Carefully cut canvas according to graphs, including the area inside the front.
- Work front of frame with 2 strands of star yellow 091 Heavy (#32) Braid in long or gobelin stitche in direction indicated. Overcast edges of cut out area and outside edges of front with star yellow braid. Glue sequins and spangles using photo as guide.
- Leave back of frame unstitched. Whipstitch sides and bottom edges of back of frame to wrong side of front of frame with nylon thread. Leave top open to insert photo to show through opening on the front of frame.
- Add a small nylon thread to the top center of the front of the frame as the ornament hanger.
Project note: If you prefer, you can omit the back piece of canvas and simply glue your photo to the wrong side of the front of the frame to show through the opening.