Tattoo Inspired Card for Mom
Create this adorable Mother's Day card inspired by the classic tattoo print. Using scrap fabrics and basic sewing stitches, this Mother's Day craft does nostalgia, simplicity and beauty all in one.
- Scraps of fabric and ribbon
- Needle and thread
- Sewing machine
- Fabric paint and paintbrush
- Fabric marker or permanent marker
- Pre-made blank cards or card stock that is cut and folded into cards
- Heart and Banner Patterns
- First paint some hearts on a scrap of fabric (I used muslin) At the end of this post there is a page of patterns for these cards that you can download and trace!
- After the hearts dry, trim them so there is just a little square of fabric around each. (if you prefer to embroider using a hoop then wait to do this step until after you embroider them) Also cut out the little banners and sew them onto the hearts.
- Now you can use the pattern to embroider "Mom" on the banners or hearts, and add arrows. I used a back stitch on everything except the arrow tip where I used a satin stitch.
- Then just sew the swatch of fabric onto your card. Make sure to lay the card open so you don't sew it shut. If you don't have a machine this can be done by hand.
- Version 2: The possibilities are endless! How about some ribbon? For this card let's leave off the banner, add the arrow and sew ribbon onto the card before sewing the heart on...
- Version 3: Now what about adding some lovely Fluffiness? Just put a pinch of poly-fill under the heart swatch before you sew it onto the card - oh that is Fun!
- Version 4: Cut out a piece of fabric the same size as your card, and two little strips of fabric. Trim around the shape of two hearts. Sew the big piece of fabric to the card, and overlap the strips and sew along the sides and bottom so you create a little pocket. Then sew one heart on outside of the bottom of the pocket, and sew just the corner of the other heart on so it hangs down into the pocket.
Check out this Mother's Day Photo Prop by Sharon, too!
Read NextFancy Rubber Gloves