Map Placemat Decoupage Idea
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
In the Designer's Words: "Revamp tired old table mats, (or make new ones with cork tiles), with maps of your favourite cities. Not only do these maps look fantastic but they really spark conversation round the dinner table as everyone reminisces about about trips to the city. This is a very easy decoupage craft, that costs very little to make. You can use maps that you may have collected from your travels or download free ones from the internet. These maps would also make a fantastic personalised gift."
Time to CompleteIn an evening
Primary TechniqueDIY Craft
Project TypeMake a Project
- Old table mats or cork tiles
- Maps - There are links on my blog to download free ones.
- Decoupage Glue
- Waterproof/Heat resistant varnish
Prime your maps with a 50/50 glue water solution.
Cut your map to size
Apply glue to map and mat.
Place map on top of mat carefully using a ruler or rolling pin to squeeze out any bubbles.
Once dry, coat with 2 to 3 layers of varnish leaving to dry between each coat.
I collect the free tourist maps from all the cities I visit and these are perfect for this. However there are some fantastic vintage ones on the internet you can download for free (links on my blog). They do look awesome and are a great for memories. I used maps of London, Paris, Barcelona, Stockholm and Budapest.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive, partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Brown Sheep Cotton Fine Yarn
- Westcott Blunt Tip Kids' Scissors
- 30+ Recycled Newspaper Craft Ideas
- How to Weave Without Special Equipment
- Victoria Hannley
- How to Repurpose an Oatmeal Container
- Simple Sparkling Valentine Pendant
- Stripes and Spikes Potholder
- Laundry Bag for Gym Clothes
- Valentine's Day Pillows
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home