How to Make a Square Knot + 4 Variations
This video tutorial teaches you 4 variations to use when making square knots. These techniques are useful in learning how to make bracelets of any style.
- Hemp cording, I used 1mm
- A clipboard to keep your work in place
- Before you begin, you first must know the names of each strand. The two outer strands are what I refer to as the working strands. The inner strands are what I call the core strands. Usually there are two strands, but sometimes you will find projects with one strand or more.
- To make a square knot, first bring the left working strand over the core strands in an “L” shape. Take the right working strand and bring it over the left, under the core strands, and through the loop you created with your left working strand. Pull with even pressure from both sides to tighten the first half of the knot. Now you basically need to reverse what you just did. Taking your right working strand, bring it over your core strands in an “L” shape. Take your left strand and bring it over the right strand, under the core strands, and through the loop the right working strand created. Pull both working strands to tighten the knot. You have just created a single square knot!
- To make a half knot, take your left working strand over the core strands in an “L” shape. Take the right working strand and bring it over the left, under the core strands, and through the loop you created with your left working strand. Your knot is complete! If you make a series of half knots, you will be creating a spiral effect.
- To make an inside out knot, you will need two core strands. Take your core strands and separate them. Take your working strands and bring them in the middle of your core strands. Your original core strands are now on the outside and became the working strands. Make a square knot with your working strands. To get back your original working strands, repeat the knot again.
- To make a bead on the inside knot, string a bead on your core strands and tie a square knot.
- To make the beads on the outside knot, string a bead on your left working strand and a bead on your right working strand. Now simply tie a square knot and you're done!
Read NextDaisy Chain Beaded Bracelet Pattern