Candy Corn Stick Arm Characters
Kids will love helping create these funky candy corn stick arm characters. These "corny" characters would make a great addition to a Halloween spread, or can be displayed in a child's room year round.
- STYROFOAM Brand Foam:
- Cones, one each: 15" x 4"; 9" x 4"; 6" x 3"
- Balls: 2", two; 1-1/2", four; 1", six
- Acrylic paints: black; orange; white; yellow
- Wooden dowels: 3/8"; 1/4"; 3/16"
- Wooden ball knobs: 5/8", two; 1/2", four; 3/8", two
- Wooden ball, 3/4"
- Paintbrushes: medium flat; stiff round; liner
- Disposable palette
- Water basin
- Paper towels
- Utility knife or craft snips
- Thick, white craft glue
- Serrated knife
- Candle stub or paraffin
- Fine-line black permanent marker
- Wooden skewers
- Craft-tip set for acrylic paints (optional)
- Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Cut following from tops of foam cones: 8" from large cone; 3-3/4" from medium cone; 1-1/2" from small cone. Set aside cone tops for future projects. Use scrap foam to round off tops of remaining cone sections as shown in photo.
- Insert wooden skewers into bottom of cones and foam balls. Holding skewer, paint foam balls white. Place skewers in heavy glass or jar; let dry.
- Holding large cone by skewer, paint cone base and 2"-wide stripe around bottom orange. Paint 3"-wide middle stripe yellow; paint cone top white. Repeat for remaining cones, decreasing stripe measurements as follows: medium cone, 1-3/4" bottom, 2-1/2" middle; small cone, 1-1/2" bottom, 2" middle.
- Use liner brush or craft-tip set and black paint to outline stripes. Place skewers in heavy glass or jar; let dry.
- Use utility knife to cut two 5-1/2" lengths (arms) and two 8" lengths (legs) from 3/8" dowel for large candy. Cut two 4-1/2" arms and two 7" legs from 1/4" dowel for medium candy. Cut two 3-1/2" arms and two 5" legs from 3/16" dowel for small candy.
- Paint legs orange and arms yellow. Push dowel ends into scrap foam to dry.
- Paint two ball knobs of each size black for eyes; use brush handle to add white highlight dot to each eye. Paint remaining ball knobs and wooden ball orange for noses. Let dry.
- Twist and glue appropriate arms and legs into foam ball hands and feet as follows: large candy, 1-1/2" hands, 2" feet; medium candy, 1" hands, 1-1/2" feet; small candy, 1" hands and feet.
- Use photo as placement guide to glue and twist arms and legs into cone bodies.
- Use photo as guide to glue eyes and nose to yellow stripe as follows: large candy, 5/8" eyes, ball nose; medium candy, 1/2" eyes, ball knob nose; small candy, 3/8" eyes, remaining nose.
- Use stiff brush and small amount of paint to brush cheeks orange. Use black marker to draw facial features.
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow. For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.