Rose Sugar Skull
Learn how to make a new unique Halloween project
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
In the Designer's Words: "For this project I used a foam skull from Make It fun, paint from Deco Art & Plaid and stencils from The Crafter's Workshop. I wanted to show in the project that you could use stencil on a 3-D surface, so I used my Rose Stencil with acrylic paint and modeling paste to make the roses on my sugar skull. This is one of my FAVORITE projects ever!! :)"
The Rose Sugar Skull shows you how to transform a foam skull into a dark, beautiful master piece. With flowers and gems to liven it up, it's a fun mixture of girly and gothic. A perfect project for next Halloween or a gift for your artsy friend. The techniques used can easily be carried over to any other 3-D surface to personalize this craft. Get in touch with your dark side and try this fun craft!
Time to CompleteWeekend project
Primary TechniqueMixed Media
- Skull: make it fun
- Acrylic Paint: Deco Art and Plaid
- Stencil: The Crafter's Worskhop
- Modeling Paste: Liquitex Basics
- Daller Rowney: Graphite Paste
- Gems: Marion Smith Designs
Paint your skull surface your base color. Allow to dry.
On a palette, mix modeling paste with you acrylic paint
Using your favorite stencil, gently scrape the paint/paste mixture through your stencil. This can be a little difficult on a 3-D surface...I recommend holding it in your lab for better control. Allow to dry.
Use a black acrylic paint like DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylic to outline your stenciled images, flourishes, outline the teeth and fill in the eyes..
Add dots with the end of your brush acrylic paint and with enamel paint, like DecoArts 3D enamel paint.
Add as many fun details until you are happy!! I added a little darker paint to add depth.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 18 No-Carve Pumpkin Ideas
- Ghost Centerpiece Craft with Video
- "31 Halloween Craft Projects" eBook
- Just Beautiful Peacock Halloween Costume DIY
- Orange Pumpkin Crocheted Pincushion
- Denim Country Pumpkins
- Easy Halloween Crochet Trio
- Easy DIY Boys Dinosaur Costume
- Pumpkin Tea Cozy
- Halloween Ribbon Table Runner
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Sapphire Star Granny Square
- Rain Boots Vase
- Simple Spa Slippers
- Lovely Victorian Lace Heart ❤️ Ornament
- Rose Milk Bath Tea
- How To Make A Sherpa Fleece And Flannel Blanket
- Heart Block Pillow Pattern
- Wax Air Freshener With Dried Flowers
- Diy Bird Feeders
- Winter Rays Hat
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home