Candy Corn Quilt
This candy corn quilt from Baby Lock is the perfect Halloween sewing project. Make a quilt with a candy corn border and scary black cats to turn your home into a haunted house.
- Baby Lock Sewing/Embroidery Machine
- Walking foot attachment
- 1/8 yard of 5 different cotton fabrics, black/white dot, white/black dot, orange stripe, black/ivory check, moss green
- 3/8 yard of gold cotton fabric
- 3/8 yard of orange/black dot cotton fabric
- ½ yard of solid ivory cotton
- 1 3/8 yard of black on black stripe cotton fabric
- 1 ¼ yard of cotton fabric for backing
- 1 package of large black rick rack
- KK2000 spray adhesive
- Rotary cutting system
- Quilt batting
- Amazing Designs AH01 large cat
- Amazing Designs AH02 small cat face
- Triangle in a square rulers from Quilt in a Day
- Quilt batting
- Embroidery thread and conventional sewing thread
- Hoop stabilizer and ivory cotton in extra large hoop. Spray with KK2000 temporary adhesive to hold the layers in place.
- Embroider the large cat design, and then remove the excess stabilizer. Using the rotary cutting system, cut a 9.5” square block, centering the cat design in the middle of the block.
- Repeat the above process to embroider the small cat design, using a smaller hoop and reducing the size of the cat face to 2.83 cm x 3.47 cm. repeat for a total of four motifs. Cut the motifs into blocks, 4” square, centering the cat face in the middle of each block.
- Cut one 3.5” strip from each of the eight remaining fabrics. Cut the strips into 3.5” squares.
- Piece together 8 nine patch blocks, randomly placing the different colors and patterns of the 3.5” squares.
- Stitch rick rack to the sides of the embroidered large cat block.
- Piece six of the nine patch blocks together into 2 rows of 3 blocks.
- For the middle row piece one nine patch block on either side of the embroidered large cat block. Press the seams.
- Stitch rick rack to the top and bottom of the embroidered large cat block, tuck the raw edges of the rick rack towards the seam allowance.
- Stitch the three rows of the blocks together. Placing the row with the embroidered large cat design in the middle.
- For the first border, cut two 1 ¾” x 27 ½” strips and two 1 ¾” x 30” from the black/black stripe fabric. Stitch the two 27 ½” strips to the side of the quilt. Stitch the other two strips to the top and bottom of the quilt.
- For candy corn border, cut four strips of each: ivory cotton (1 ¼” x 45”), orange/black dot (2” x 45”), and gold cotton (1 ½” x 45”).
- Stitch four strip sets of ivory, orange/black and gold. Press.
- Using the square up triangle ruler as the triangle template, cut the candy corn with the ivory at the top (smallest part), 32 triangle pieces.
Note: Use the Square up triangle ruler only from the red-line up making a 4” triangle.
- Cut the black/black cotton stripe into three 4” x 45” strips. Again, using the triangle template cut the black into 36 triangle pieces.
- Stitch the candy corn triangles to the black triangles. With right sides facing flip the small end of a black triangle to the wide end of a candy corn triangle, stitch together. Next, flip another black to the other side of the candy corn triangle, stitch. Continue until there are 9 black triangles and 8 candy corn triangles in a row. Trim the end of the rows, ¼” from the center of the last black triangle. Stitch 3 more rows of border candy corn and black triangles.
- Stitch one row of candy corn to each side of the quilt. To the other two rows of candy corn, stitch a small cat face block to each of the ends.
- Next, stitch the last two rows of candy corn with small cat embroidery one to the top and one row to the bottom of the quilt.
- Press the quilt.
- Layer the quilt top, quilt batting and backing, pin or baste securely.
- Machine quilt.
- Bind with black/black stripe fabric.
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
More from "Halloween Crafts"
Hundreds of Halloween Crafts, Halloween Decorations and Halloween Craft Ideas featuring step-by-step halloween costume tutorials, halloween decorating tips and free halloween arts and crafts for kids.