Scrap Fabric Rosette Barrette
Making fabric flowers is a cinch with this tutorial and video from Haley Pierson-Cox. Make these Scrap Fabric Rosette Barrettes as a cute hair accessory that also uses up scraps of fabric.
Find this project and more in our free eBook, How to Make Bows, Hair Pins and More: 33 DIY Hair Accessories.
- Fabric strips
- Felt scraps
- Barrettes or hair clips
- Hot glue gun
- Fabric scissors
- Sewing needle
- Cut fabric scraps into strips. You can adjust the size of your rosette by changing the length and width of the strips.
- Roll fabric strips into rosettes. This process is much easier to show than tell, so I made a video:
For those of you who prefer written directions: Fold the fabric strip in half horizontally. Fold one end over several times, creating the center. Holding on to these folds, begin wrapping the fabric around the center (the fabric will build on itself). To create the rose petal texture, twist the fabric as you wrap. When you reach the end of the fabric strip, place a dot of hot glue on the back, then fold the fabric end over and press into place.
- Cut circles out of felt. (Make them just large enough for your rosettes to fit.)
- Glue rosettes to the felt using your hot glue gun.
- Cut off any extra felt.
- With your needle and thread, secure the rosette group to the hair clip. Make sure that your first stitch goes through the felt so it stays securely in place.
Note: Depending on the type of clip you're using, you might also want to try jewelry wire, floral wire, or fishing line.
- Tie off the thread, and it's ready to wear!
Read NextEasy Peasy Hairpins