Flower Garden Button Tote
Using different sized buttons and ribbons you can create this beautiful garden tote bag. In six easy steps it can be ready to be carried on your shoulder. This is a great little tote to go shopping with or even to the beach.
- Package each of the following Favorite Findings big buttons #500, flower buttons #1175, butterfly buttons #1149, buttons #4331 (find Blumenthal Lansing Buttons on CutRateCrafts.com)
- 13 1/2" x 13 1/2" natural canvas tote bag
- 1/2 yard 3/8" pink grosgrain ribbon
- 3 yard 3/8" green grosgrain ribbon
- Yard 1/8" green grosgrain ribbon
- 2/3 yard 3/8" of both orange and turquoise grosgrain ribbon
- Orange embroidery floss and needle
- Fabric marker
- Fabric glue
To make petals for each big button flower, cut two 6" lengths of 3/8" ribbon. Form each length into a figure 8 and glue at the center. Glue the figure 8's at the center to create 4 flower petals. Follow photo for color of each flower. Put small buttons on top of big buttons and place onto center of petals. Thread needle with embroidery floss. Working from the front, stitch the buttons onto the petals. Knot the floss securely, cut the ends and fluff the floss to create the flower center.
Place small buttons onto the center of the large flower buttons. Use embroidery floss to stitch buttons together. Tie floss securely, cut the ends and fluff.
Position flowers onto tote and mark placement with a dot. For stems, cut lengths of 3/8" green ribbon for big button flowers and 1/8" green ribbon for large flower buttons. Glue stems to tote. For leaves, cut 7" - 9" lengths of 3/8" green ribbon. Fold each length into a V and glue to the base of the stems.
Glue flowers to tops of stems.
Remove shanks from butterfly buttons and glue to tote.
Glue a length of pink and green ribbon around to top of the tote.