Stretchy Shells Crochet Hat Pattern
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
In the Designer's Words: "This beginner-intermediate hat pattern can be worked up with less than one skein of yarn and in 2-4 hours! A pretty, almost lacy design, and yet a warm winter hat. The hat is nice and stretchy, so don't worry if it looks a little small as you're crocheting."
One of the best ways to make crochet hat patterns that stand out is by creating them out of unique crochet stitches that add texture to your winter wear. This how to crochet a hat tutorial allows you to add winter warmth to your wardrobe in a unique feminine way. Using the always-popular shell stitch, the Stretchy Shells Crochet Hat Pattern is an intermediate crochet pattern that is sure to become a wardrobe staple this winter. Unlike many other shell stitch patterns, this one can be worn!
NotesThe hat is nice and stretchy, so don't worry if it looks a little small as you're crocheting.
Crochet HookH/8 or 5 mm hook
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
Crochet Gauge13 sts by 13 rows = 4" square (Don't worry if this isn't exact-As I said, the hat is stretchy so we're free to be a little lax with this.)
Finished SizeMeasures 9.5 inches from top of hat to bottom, (brim unfolded) Measures 18 inches around, but the pattern is stretchy, and should fit most head sizes
- 1 skein of worsted weight yarn (you won't use the whole skein)
- 1 H/5.00mm crochet hook
- Yarn Needle
- Stitch Marker (optional, but recommended)
Sc 6 in Magic Circle (6)
Round 1: Inc in each stitch all around (12)
Round 2: *Sc 1, inc* [repeat from * all around) (18)
Round 3: *Sc 2, inc* [repeat from * all around] (24)
Round 4: *Sc 3, inc* [repeat from * all around] (30)
Round 5: *Sc 4, inc* [repeat from * all around] (36)
Round 6: *Sc 5, inc* [repeat from * all around] (42)
Round 7: *Sc 6, inc* [repeat from * all around] (48)
Round 8: *Skip 3 sts, one shell, skip 3 sts, sc* [repeat from * all around, except make a sl st instead of a sc for the last st of the round] (6 shells)
Round 9: Shell in the same st, skip 2 sts, sc, *shell in sc from previous round (picture below), skip 4 sts, sc, shell in sc from previous round* [repeat from * to end of round] (6 shells) Round 10: Sk 3 sts, sc, shell in sc from previous round,*skip 4 sts, sc, shell, skip 4 sts, sc, shell in sc from previous round* [repeat from * till end of round] (6 shells)
Round 11- 20: *Skip 4 sts, sc, shell in sc space* [repeat from * till end of round] (6 shells per round) Finish off and tuck in ends!
If you like this pretty stitch, explore 31 Crochet Shell Stitch Patterns You'll Love
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- Beginner Crochet Cap
- 48 Free Crochet Hat Patterns
- 50+ Crochet Patterns & Beginner Help
- 7 Free Chemo Hat Patterns
- Grey Slouchie Crochet Beanie Pattern
- 18 Free Crochet Hat Patterns For Men
- 31+ Cute Crochet Patterns for Babies
- Newsboy Hat Crochet Pattern
- Faux Mistake Rib Easy Crochet Hat
- Elevated Honeycomb Crochet Hat
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- How To Paint On Glass
- How To Make Lipgloss
- Party Food Ideas: How To Make An Impressive Owl Meatloaf
- You've Been Booed Printable
- Campfire Earflap Beanie
- Rbg Lace Collar
- Papier Mache Mirror Frame
- Everyday Tapered Beanie
- How To Sew A Cloak With Hood
- Harvest Pocket Shawl
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home