Eco Friendly Bag
Crochet an eco-friendly bag to carry fresh produce from the farmer's market, daily essentials, or to tote your refillable water bottle. This is a quick and easy bag crochet pattern in eco-friendly cotton yarn and you can easily make more than one so you always have a bag to grab as you head out the door to the grocery store. These bags allow produce to breathe and are lightweight, so they won't weigh you down if you find yourself toting more than one. Easy enough for beginners, this crocheted tote is one pattern you may find yourself coming back to again and again.
- 2 skeins Red Heart “Eco-Cotton™ Blend” yarn in Candy Marl
- 5mm [US H-8] crochet hook
- Yarn needle
- Elastic pony tail band
Gauge: Rounds 1-5 of Base = 6½”.
Bag diameter measures 10” x 12” tall.
- Round 1: Make a slip knot, working around elastic band, work 48 sc around band, slip st to first st in join – 48 sts.
- Round 2: Ch 3, dc in each st around, slip st in first st to join – 48 sts.
- Round 3: Ch 3, 2 dc in next st, *dc in next st, 2 dc in next st; repeat from * around, slip st to first st in join – 72 sts.
- Round 4: Ch 3, dc in next st, 2 dc in next st, *dc in next 2 sts, 2 dc in next st; repeat from * around, slip st in first st to join – 96 sts.
- Fasten off.
- Ch 8, slip st in first st to form a ring.
- Round 1: Ch 3 (counts as dc here and throughout), 23 dc in ring, slip st in first st to join – 24 sts.
- Round 2: Ch 3, dc in same space, [2 dc in each st] around, slip st in first st to join – 48 sts.
- Round 3: Ch 3, dc in each st around, slip st in first st to join.
- Round 4: Ch 3, 2 dc in next st, *dc in next st, 2 dc in next st; repeat from * around, slip st in first st to join – 72 sts.
- Round 5: Ch 3, dc in next st, 2 dc in next st, *dc in next 2 sts, 2 dc in next st; repeat from * around, slip st in first st to join – 96 sts.
- Round 6: With right sides together, join Base and Pouch, matching sts and working through both thicknesses, ch 1, sc in each st around, slip st in first st to join – 96 sts.
- Rounds 7-9: Ch 3, dc in each st around, slip st in first st to join – 96 sts.
- Round 10: Ch 1, sc in same st at joining, *ch 5, skip next 3 sts, sc in next st; repeat from * around to last 3 sts, ch 2, dc in first sc forming last loop – 24 loops.
- Rounds 11-25: Ch 1, sc in loop just formed, *ch 5, sc in next loop; repeat from * around to last loop, ch 2, dc in first sc to form last loop.
- Round 26: Ch 1, 3 sc in loop just formed, 5 sc in each loop around to first loop, 2 sc in loop, slip st in first st to join.
- Fasten off.
- Ch 201, sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across.
- Fasten off.
- Weave through loops of Round 25. Sew ends together.
- Weave in ends.
- Fold Bag inside Pouch.
Read NextCrochet Beach Tote Bag Pattern
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Jun 07, 2012
these directions are definitely not correct! If you make it the way they read, you will not be able to fold the pouch inside! Doesn't anyone test these before you release the pattern?
Aug 16, 2012
I just finished this project last night, and my bag folds up with no problems....
Jun 18, 2010
Maybe I'm slow, but why does the instructions for the pouch NOT say how it is closed to MAKE a pouch? I end up with a round doily with a hole in the center.
Jul 17, 2012
You did it right!! You put the base and bag together in Rd 6 of the bag and you'll put the bag into the hole that you made in the base with the elastic band....
May 08, 2010
I once made a large bag from bread wrappers. My daughters used it for their wet swimming suits and towels. Worked well and lasted for ages. Thanks for all your good information. Sincerely Elberta "Peaches" McCoskey
Apr 26, 2010
If you want to take eco-friendly a step further, cut those plastic grocery sacks you have laying around into 1"strips and crochet the above bag from them. I made a throw rug out of them and it's actually very pretty. I had yellow, blue, white and brown bags and alternated them to make a sort of pattern. I used a 'J' hook.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Join our community of 5 million crafters!
- Get free craft projects, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use