Clay Bird Pendant
Complete any outfit with this sweet Clay Bird Pendant. This easy and simple DIY pendant is a great project for kids and makes a sweet gift for a friend. Attach it to a necklace strand, key chain, or make cute ornaments for the holiday season.
- Crayola clay
- Wire (optional)
- Sandpaper (optional)
- Acrylic paint (optional)
- Artist's Sealer (optional)
- Start with a hunk of clay, rolled into an oval shape.
- Take one end of that oval and pinch it between your thumb and forefinger while giving it a gentle pull upwards. One pinch and you’ve already got a tail.
- Now push the other end up and smooth it over to make the bird head. It’s almost like you’re making a V-shape, but one end is skinnier than the other.
- From the front of the bird head, pinch forward a little bit of clay until it comes to a point to make the beak. That’s it. You’ve sculpted. The airdry clay can be softened with water, so if you get your fingers just a little bit damp you can smooth out any roughness you created with your pinching.
- If you want to use this bird as a little trinket, then you’re done. But if you want to use it as a pendant then push a piece of wire through the clay from top to bottom to create a hole for beading.
- Give your bird a couple of days to dry. If you make it pretty big you might want to wait a couple more. A light sanding with finish sandpaper will remove any fingerprints.
- From here you could decorate it however you wanted to. I painted these birds with a coat of ice blue acrylic paint, a coat of pearly white acrylic paint, and then a couple coats of clear artist’s sealer. Once it’s all dry you can use this bird like any other bead. Since I was going for simple, I put it on a head pin, attached it to a jump ring, and threaded it on a silk cord.
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Join our community of 5 million crafters!
- Get free craft projects, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use
Thank You for Signing Up!
There was an issue signing you up. Please check your email address, and try again.