Recycled Lightbulb Snowman
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Homemade Christmas ornaments add a fun and meaningful touch to any tree. When you go green, it takes the meaning to a whole other level. Create a Recycled Lightbulb Snowman from Cyndee Kromminga using materials you already have. This is a great way to save money on supplies. This Recycled Lightbulb Snowman is also a great way to save the environment by reusing old light bulbs. Eco friendly craft ideas are perfect for the holidays when there seems to be so much extra waste.
- Standard-size light bulb
- White or off white acrylic paint
- Black acrylic paint
- Craft wire
- Wire cutters
- Measuring tape
- Masking tape
- White or off white fabric scraps
- Craft glue
- Black felt scrap
- Blush and a cotton swab
- Orange felt scrap
- Wooden skewer
- Fine-point black permanent marker
- Homespun fabric scrap
- Red acrylic paint
- Sponge paint a standard-size light bulb (including the screw top) using white or off white acrylic paint. This layer of paint will provide a slight texture for the glue to adhere to. You could omit this step, but this will prevent the glue from slipping while constructing the snowman. It also provides another layer of durability to the thin glass.
- Paint the screw end using black acrylic paint. Allow the paint to dry.
- Cut two 5-inch lengths of craft wire. Holding the two pieces side-by-side, begin twisting them together 1/2-inch from one end. Continue to twist until you are 1/2 inch from the other end. Separate the 1/2 inch ends to form a "Y" shape. These are the snowman's hands and the twisted wire in between form the arms. Measure down 1 1/4 inches from the bottom edge of the light bulb's screw end. Bend the center of the twisted wire around the width of the bulb at this measurement. Bend the arms outward at the sides of the bulb. Using masking tape, tape the center of the wire to the bulb.
- Rip 1/2-inch-wide strips of white and/or off white fabric scraps. Clean off all the loose threads along the edges.
- Apply craft glue to the bulb. Wrap the strips vertically, horizontally and diagonally around the bulb until the entire surface is covered. The section of the wire that is taped will also be covered by the strips. Do not cover the screw end of the bulb.
- Cut a 1/4-inch-wide by 3 3/4-inch long strip of black felt. Apply glue to the bottom edge of the painted screw end and the top edge of the wrapped bulb. Place the strip over the glue and wrap it around the screw end. This is the bottom cuff of the snowman's hat.
- Apply two 1/4-inch cheeks, 1/4 inch below the hat, using blush and a cotton swab. Space the cheeks 1/4 inch apart.
- Cut a 1/2-inch-tall triangle with a 1/8-inch-wide base from orange felt. This is the carrot nose. Apply craft glue to one side of the felt. Position the nose in the center of the face with the point facing toward the left or right.
- Dip the pointed end of a wooden skewer in black acrylic paint. Dot two eyes above the nose. Using a fine-point black permanent marker, draw a smile below the nose.
- Rip a 1/4-inch-wide by 10-inch-long strip of homespun fabric. Wrap the strip around the snowman just below the smile and above the arms. Tie the strip in a knot on the front of the snowman. Trim as desired.
- Dip the blunt end of a wooden skewer in red acrylic paint. Dot two buttons down the front of the snowman's tummy.
- Cut a 12-inch length of craft wire using wire cutters. Wrap the wire around the screw end of the snowman. Twist the ends on the back of the ornament to secure. Separate the wire ends and form into a ring. Twist the ends together to secure the ring. This is your ornament's hanger.
Learn How to Make a Mini Christmas Tree that will look adorable on any surface of the house.
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive, partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Superb Snowflake Clothespin Craft
Cute Clay Snowman Decor
Easy Yarn Snowman with Crocheted Hat and Scarf
Waterless Snow Globe Craft
Folded Book Christmas Tree
Snowflake String Art
"11 DIY Christmas Decorations and Gift Ideas" free eBook
Plastic Bag Wreath
18 Homemade Christmas Decorations: How to Make Christmas Decorations free eBook
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- DIY Easter Basket Ideas: 28 Easter Baskets to Make
- Easy Patterned Paper Wreath
- Mokume Gane Coasters with Cork
- Wine Bag Gift Packaging
- Shibori Style Dyed Pillows You Can Make
- Doodled T-Shirt with Fabric Markers
- 21 DIY Rainbow Crafts
- Mirror Duck Tape
- 18 Crochet Baby Hat Patterns for Beginners
- 24 Craft Ideas for Seashells
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home